Civic Health Advancement Group Closes on $135 Million Financing to Commence Multi-Phase Rehabilitation
Let the recovery start at the 104-year-old Old Cook County Health center, which ducked the trashing ball however has been in an ongoing state of degeneration since it was deserted in 2002.
Private developer Civic Health Advancement Group closed on the $135 million financing to redevelop the 1914 Beaux Arts brick, granite and terra-cotta structure at 1835 W. Harrison St., inning accordance with MB Real Estate.
Led by Chicago-based designer John Murphy of Murphy Development Group, the long-awaited conversion of the 345,000-square-foot building to a hotel is set to begin a five-phase redevelopment in partnership with Cook County within the fledgling Illinois Medical District Gateway task.
Murphy approximates the full project will eventually be valued at up to $1 billion.
“This very first stage is only the start of exactly what will be a considerable redevelopment of the Illinois Medical District that will have a massive favorable effect,” Murphy stated.
The massive overhaul of the eight-story building, initially designed by Cook County designer Paul Gerhardt, is slated to begin in June. Strategies call for a dual-branded 210-room Hyatt House/Hyatt Location Hotel at one end, with 71,000 square feet of office space and 25,000 square feet of retail area on the other. The medical workplace would be rented by the Cook County Health Center and Health Center Systems, Murphy said.
The old site has had a storied history considering that it was first used as a healthcare facility start in 1832. Chicago developed the first long-term structure in 1857. From that time until the Civil War, the hospital was used a teaching center for Rush Medical School up until the start of the Civil War, and to some extent, it still is.
The facility began as a free healthcare facility for the indigent, but that ended in 1866. Apparently, not everybody heard the news: the most current health center building still sports waiting-room sign informing clients that it is not a totally free facility.
The Gerhardt-designed structure was completed in 1914, spanning nearly 550 feet along Harrison Street and anchoring a medical district that grew to 3,000 beds, inning accordance with Encyclopedia of Chicago. It likewise was the very first in the United States to offer medical internships for striving doctors in 1866 and was the inspiration behind the imaginary County General Hospital, the website of the ER television series that introduced George Clooney’s career. Spectators likewise saw it in the 1993 movie “The Fugitive,” starring Harrison Ford.
The old Cook County Medical facility closed in 2002 after the brand-new healthcare facility opened in a surrounding structure. Cook County Chairman John Stroger desired the building destroyed in 2002 since it was so out-of-date, inning accordance with published reports. In 2010, the health center was relabelled after him.
The designers are pursuing Federal Historic Tax Credits and will look for acknowledgment as a Chicago landmark.
The design/build team likewise includes Walsh Building as contractor, Skidmore Owings & & Merrill as the architect, and Koo Interiors for interior decoration.