Jury Rules United States May Take Manhattan Office Tower Connected to Iranian Non-Profit, Home Interests in 3 Other States

Court Upholds Government’s Claims to 36-Story Tower, Additional Residential or commercial property Interests in CA, MD, NY and TX

In what could turn out to be the biggest terrorism-related property forfeit in history, a jury has ruled that the government might take 650 Fifth Opportunity, a high-profile workplace tower in Midtown Manhattan, which U.S. prosecutors have alleged in a long-running series of complaints is controlled by an Iranian state-controlled bank, in addition to portions of interests in 5 other residential or commercial properties in California, Maryland, New York and Texas.

After simply a day of deliberation, the eight-member jury in U.S. District Court, Southern District of New york city ruled all Thursday that the non-profit Alavi Foundation broke U.S. sanctions against Iran permitted under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

The 1977 law authorizes the president to regulate commerce, approximately and consisting of the taking of private properties, after declaring a nationwide emergency situation in action to any uncommon and remarkable hazard to the United States by a foreign source.

An Iran-based non-profit company, Alavi Structure, acquired land and established the 36-story, 395,000-square-foot property under orders by then-Shah of Iran Mohammad Reza Pahlavi the in the 1970s. When the Islamic transformation toppled the shah in 1979, the new Iranian government replaced Alavi’s board of directors.

Prosecutors first filed a problem in 2008 alleging that Alavi was using its 60% interest in 650 5th to wash money through its association with Assa Corp., a shell business for Iran’s state-controlled bank that owns the other 40% of the property, which might now deserve up to $1 billion.

The jury also ruled in favor of the federal government’s efforts to take numerous Alavi checking account and shares of other properties in California, Maryland, New york city and Texas that were funded by 650 Fifth’s rental income. Inning accordance with the problem, the properties include the following:

* 2313 S. Voss Roadway, Houston
* 55-11 Queens Blvd., Queens, NY
* 4836 Marconi Ave., Carmichael, CA (Sacramento market)
* 7917 Montrose Roadway, Rockville, MD
* 8100 Jeb Stuart Road, Rockville, MD

On 2 properties at 4300 and 4204 Aldie Road, Catharpin, VA, the jury concluded that the government did not show its claim that earnings were traceable to the infraction of federal sanctions.

Federal officials intend to take the properties and possessions and distribute the profits to victims of terrorist acts connected to Iran, including victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Inning accordance with CoStar information, Nike became 650 Fifth’s largest tenant in April when the apparel company signed a 15-year lease for several floorings totaling 75,822 square feet. Other big occupants consist of Delta National Bank and the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *