Mayor: Minor league ballpark might impede Vegas getting MLB team

Image

Steve Marcus Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman offers the State of the City address at Las Vegas City Hall in downtown Las Vegas Thursday, Jan. 12, 2017.

Manfred has previously stated Las Vegas is an alternative for relocation.

“I spoke with him about MLB coming here and getting one of those groups not always doing well at eviction,” she said. “That discussion will rollover.”

That conversation, however, could be tough because of the $150 million arena being built for the Triple-A Las Vegas 51s, Goodman stated.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority board of directors voted 8-2 to invest $80 million in the 10,000-seat, open-air ballpark in exchange for calling rights. It is expected to be all set for the 2019 season.

Goodman belongs to the authority board but avoided voting on the cash for the ballpark.

“I rest on the board. I said, ‘Exactly what are you doing (to 51s officials)? What happens if MLB wishes to come?'” she stated.

Their response, she continued: “They would have to buy us out.”

Goodman is encouraged the NBA will ultimately host a group in Las Vegas, indicating the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces, which start play in the spring, as an action in the right instructions. She likewise remains in regular communication with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

And she’s positive the minors soccer Las Vegas Lights will be a hit in downtown Las Vegas, ultimately finishing to Major League Soccer.

She’s not as positive about baseball. One misstep would be expenses connected with expanding the new ballpark.

“Big league baseball is probably the last,” she stated.

Ray Maker can be reached at 702-990-2662 or [email safeguarded]. Follow Ray on Twitter at twitter.com/raybrewer21

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *