Paltrow, Jolie join flood of claims versus Weinstein

Image

AP This mix picture shows actresses Angelina Jolie at a premiere for “The Breadwinner” at the Toronto International Film Celebration on Sept. 10, 2017, left, and Gwyneth Paltrow comes to the amfAR Motivation Gala in Los Angeles on Oct. 29, 2015. An avalanche of claims poured out Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2017, versus Harvey Weinstein in on-the-record reports that in-depth claims of sexual assault and consisted of testaments from Jolie and Paltrow, additional magnifying the currently explosive collapse of the disgraced motion picture mogul.

Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2017|7:30 p.m.

NEW YORK– A flood of allegations gathered Tuesday against Harvey Weinstein in on-the-record reports that in-depth claims of sexual abuse and consisted of statements from Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, additional intensifying the currently explosive collapse of the disgraced film magnate.

3 females implicated Weinstein of raping them in a story released online by The New Yorker, consisting of the Italian actress and filmmaker Asia Argento and a woman who was an ambitious actress in college when she caught Weinstein’s eye. A representative for the mogul emphatically rejected the claims in a declaration to the publication.

In a follow-up to its earlier expose, The New York Times also reported Tuesday that lots of other actresses have in current days contributed to the chorus of accusations surrounding Weinstein. Paltrow described Weinstein’s attempt to tempt her, then 22, into providing him a massage in a hotel space. The incident triggered her then-boyfriend Brad Pitt to madly confront Weinstein at a movie premiere.

Both reports considerably ratcheted up the unfolding scandal surrounding Weinstein, who was fired Sunday from the Weinstein Co. By the end of Tuesday, former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, a range of movie stars and Weinstein’s own other half, Georgina Chapman, had released statements condemning Weinstein’s alleged conduct. Chapman informed Individuals publication she was leaving her hubby after Ten Years of marriage, citing Weinstein’s “unforgivable actions.”

The released stories completely record the methodical harassment, abuse and intimidation of females– generally young actresses trying to be successful in films.

Lucia Evans, then a senior at Middlebury College, said Weinstein forced her to perform foreplay on him in 2004 at the Miramax offices in Tribeca. She had been brought in for a casting meeting with Weinstein. Argento said Weinstein by force carried out oral sex on her at the Cannes Film Festival in 1999. A 3rd female spoke anonymously.

“I know he has actually squashed a lot of people in the past,” Argento informed The New Yorker. “That’s why this story– in my case, it’s twenty years of ages, some of them are older– has actually never ever come out.”

Attorneys for Weinstein, 65, did not right away return messages Tuesday. The New Yorker estimated Weinstein representative Sallie Hofmeister reacting that “any claims of non-consensual sex are unquestionably denied by Mr. Weinstein.”

“Mr. Weinstein has actually even more verified that there were never any acts of retaliation against any females for refusing his advances. Mr. Weinstein obviously cannot speak to anonymous accusations, but with respect to any ladies who have actually made accusations on the record, Mr. Weinstein thinks that of these relationships were consensual,” said Hofmeister. “Mr. Weinstein has actually started therapy, has listened to the neighborhood and is pursuing a much better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes adequate development, he will be given a 2nd possibility.”

The New Yorker story, composed and looked into by the NBC reporter Ronan Farrow, declared that thirteen women have actually said Weinstein sexually bothered or attacked them in between 1990 and 2015. The events described range from unwanted searching to required sex. Some of those occurrences overlap with the eight claims of unwanted sexual advances formerly reported by The New York Times, all which led to financial settlements.

But they also go much further. In the article, Rosanna Arquette and Mira Sorvino are among those who claim Weinstein sexually harassed them. Arquette described a 1990s occurrence at a Beverly Hills hotel in which Weinstein aimed to make her give him a massage then tried to lead her hand to his penis. Later, the actress informed the magazine, “He made things really challenging for me for years.”

“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, selected never ever to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie stated in an e-mail to the Times. “This behavior towards women in any field, any nation is inappropriate.”

Agents for the starlets associated with both reports did not return messages looking for remark.

The Italian news agency ANSA said it got in touch with Argento about the story, and stated she responded with a text that read: “It’s all real, whatever is written in the New Yorker. Now leave me in peace.”

Actress Louisette Geiss (“Two and a Half Men”) likewise stepped forward Tuesday, announcing in a press conference at Gloria Allred’s Los Angeles office that in a 2008 meeting at the Sundance Movie Celebration, Weinstein appeared nude in an open bathrobe and asked several times that she watch him masturbate.

The New Yorker also reported that 16 previous and present executives and assistants at The Weinstein Co. and Miramax either witnessed or knew of Weinstein’s unwanted sexual advances. “All sixteen stated the habits was commonly known within both Miramax and the Weinstein Company.”

The Weinstein Co. board of directors, that includes Weinstein’s bro Bob, released a statement late Tuesday, rejecting any responsibility.

“These supposed actions are antithetical to human decency. These claims come as an utter surprise to the board. Any suggestion that the board knew this conduct is incorrect,” the four-member board said in a declaration. “We are dedicated to assisting with our complete energies in all criminal or other investigations of these declared acts, while pursuing justice for the victims and a complete and independent examination of our own.”

Disney, which purchased Miramax in 1993, likewise responded Tuesday. The Weinsteins departed in 2005 to found The Weinstein Co.

“Fired (the) Weinsteins because they were reckless, and Harvey was an incorrigible bully,” stated previous Disney chief executive Michael Eisner on Twitter on Tuesday. “Had no idea he was capable of these dreadful actions.”

“Harvey Weinstein’s reported habits is abhorrent and inappropriate, and it has no place in our society,” stated Disney chief Bob Iger.

The New Yorker also revealed an audio recording made by the New york city Police Department in 2015 where Weinstein states he searched a model named Ambra Battilana Gutierrez. At the time, Manhattan District Lawyer Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., revealed that an investigation didn’t support criminal charges.

“If we might have prosecuted Harvey Weinstein for the conduct that occurred in 2015, we would have,” Karen Friedman-Agnifilo, chief assistant district attorney, said Tuesday.

“While the recording is scary to listen to, what emerged from the audio was insufficient to prove a criminal activity under New York law, which requires prosecutors to establish criminal intent,” she added. “Subsequent investigative actions carried out in order to develop intent were not successful. This, coupled with other evidence issues, implied that there was no option however to conclude the investigation without criminal charges.”

Weinstein was fired Sunday by the Weinstein Co., the studio he co-founded, three days after a bombshell New York Times expose alleged years of crude sexual habits on his part toward female staff members and starlets, consisting of Ashley Judd.

Weinstein responded to the report in a lengthy, rambling declaration where he pleaded for a second chance and apologized for the pain he had actually caused.

Given that his firing, much of Hollywood has reacted with disgust and outraged, consisting of Meryl Streep, Lena Dunham, Jennifer Lawrence and George Clooney. Congressional Democrats, consisting of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, have actually provided charities countless dollars in contributions they had actually gotten from Weinstein.

In a declaration on Twitter on Tuesday, Clinton said she was “surprised and horrified” by the discoveries about Weinstein. She praised the ladies coming forward: “Their nerve and the support of others is crucial in assisting to stop this type of habits.”

Obama and his spouse, Michelle, launched a joint statement Tuesday evening revealing disgust with Weinstein.

“Any guy who demeans and breaks down females in such style needs to be condemned and held accountable, despite wealth or status. We need to celebrate the guts of ladies who have come forward to inform these unpleasant stories,” the statement stated.

“I am saddened and mad that a guy who I worked with utilized his position of power to intimidate, sexually bother and control numerous women over years,” Ben Affleck wrote in a statement Tuesday. “The additional allegations of attack that I read this early morning made me ill. This is completely inappropriate, and I find myself asking what I can do to make sure this doesn’t occur to others.”

Matt Damon, who teamed up regularly with Weinstein, and won a co-writing Oscar for “Great Will Hunting” with Affleck, said he didn’t understand about Weinstein’s behavior.

“Today, I simply feel definitely ill to my stomach,” Damon told the trade site Deadline Tuesday. “This sort of things can’t occur.”

Weinstein has not openly commented because Thursday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *