Clark County authorities credit stringent building codes for assisting to prevent the spread of flames at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas’ rooftop pool Saturday afternoon.
“Clark County’ $ s building and fire codes are amongst the most stringent in the nation,” the county composed in a ready statement Monday.
Those codes likewise govern poolside cabanas, said county spokeswoman Stacey Welling, with rules including size limits, range in between cabanas, where cabanas can be situated and automatic sprinkler systems.
The county needs cabanas to be made from non-combustible products and positioned a minimum of 20 feet away from any fuel-fired equipment.
However Welling said there are no regional or national codes connected to outdoor designs like the artificial landscaping that surrounded the 14th-floor Bamboo Swimming pool, which Clark County fire department spokesman Greg Cassell compared to “liquid fuel.”
Witnesses at the scene reported that the fire seemed to begin in or around a cabana. Private investigators are still working to determine the reason for the blaze, authorities said Monday.
Proof as of Sunday revealed the fire was accidental, perhaps sparked by an electrical issue, fire department spokeswoman Sandra Baker stated.
The fire began about 12:15 p.m. and was snuffed out in under Thirty Minutes. Though the blaze produced tall flames and thick black smoke, it never penetrated the 61-story West End tower of the hotel-casino.
“These codes, incorporated with the expert efforts of our firefighters, worked to keep the fire contained primarily to the outdoor locations of the building, with the exception of one lanai situated on the pool deck that sustained some fire damage,” the county release stated.
The swimming pool area, with the exception of bench, was reopened at 10 a.m. Sunday, less than 1 Day after the blaze started.
This is an establishing story. Examine back for updates.
Contact Kimberly De La Cruz at [email protected]!.?.! or 702-383-0381. Discover her on Twitter:@KimberlyinLV!.?.!