Gov. Brian Sandoval signed an executive order today that develops a committee devoted to tourist improvement tasks in Southern Nevada.
Sandoval’s order charges the 11-member committee with assessing regional convention and entertainment centers and making recommendations for brand-new or enhanced ones. The order likewise directs the committee to make suggestions about transport facilities and financing for tourism tasks.
The committee is essential to help Clark County remain ahead of other tourism locations and to continue improving the number of visitors to Las Vegas, the executive order states.
“There is no location on the planet that can match the experience that millions take a trip to Nevada for every year, which indicates that we have to aim to push forward and remain to lead this global market into the next generation of travel and tourism,” Sandoval said in a statement. “We are fortunate to have numerous of the brightest minds in gaming and hospitality, as well as skilled and capable neighborhood leaders who are ready to satisfy the difficulties of a changing market and recognize and accept the possible within the market.”
Committee members include representatives from the state’s top gambling establishment business along with government officials and other local leaders.
The committee is needed to submit a report to the guv and the Legislature’s Interim Finance Committee on or prior to July 31, 2016. Its first conference will be held no later than July 15, according to the order.
Here’s a complete list of the committee members, according to the governor’s office:
– Steve Hillside, executive director of the Guv’s Office of Economic Advancement (committee chairman)
– UNLV President Len Jessup (committee vice chairman)
– Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman
– Clark County Commission Chairman Steve Sisolak
– Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Kristin McMillan
– Bill Noonan of Boyd Video gaming
– Tom Jenkin of Caesars Entertainment
– George Markantonis of Las Vegas Sands
– Bill Hornbuckle of MGM Resorts International
– Mike Sloan of Station Casinos
– Kim Sinatra of Wynn Resorts
A nonvoting Technical Advisory Committee will certainly help the main committee. Its members include:
– Las Vegas City Manager Betsy Fretwell
– Clark County Manager Don Burnette
– Tina Quigley, basic manager of the Regional Transport Commission of Southern Nevada
– Rosemary Vassiliadis, director of aviation at McCarran International Airport
– Rossi Ralenkotter, president and CEO of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority
– And “a specialist in economic and monetary analysis” that the committee chairman will appoint