[not able to recover full-text content] Traditional ’60s group to bring magic minutes to Golden Nugget.
Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017|3:42 p.m.
WASHINGTON– Two more Americans have actually been verified to be affected by unexplained health attacks versus U.S. diplomats in Cuba, the United States stated Tuesday, raising the overall variety of victims to 21.
The additional 2 people seem cases that were just recently reported however happened in the past. The State Department stated no new, clinically confirmed “occurrences” have actually occurred considering that the most current one in late August. Previously this month, the U.S. revealed there had been another incident in August after formerly stating the attacks had actually stopped.
It’s possible the number could grow even higher as more cases are found. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert stated the U.S. continues to assess American workers.
The U.S. residents were members of the American diplomatic community, the United States stated. Authorities have stated formerly that the events, considered “health attacks” by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, affected diplomats published to the Embassy in Havana along with member of the family who cope with them.
The United States didn’t state how severe the freshly revealed occurrences were. However the State Department stated it was supplying “the best possible medical assessment and care” throughout the experience, consisting of help from a medical officer on personnel at the embassy.
The union representing American diplomats has actually said mild terrible brain injury is among the medical diagnoses provided to some diplomats taken advantage of in the attacks. The American Foreign Service Association has actually said long-term hearing loss was another diagnosis, and additional signs had consisted of brain swelling, serious headaches, vertigo and “cognitive disturbance.”
The developing U.S. assessment showed investigators were still far from any extensive understanding of exactly what transpired in the attacks, which started in the fall of 2016. The United States has described them as unmatched.
As the bizarre legend has unfolded, the United States has actually encouraged its diplomats to report any unusual physical feelings. So it’s uncertain whether some symptoms being attributed to the attacks might really end up being unrelated.
Significantly, the United States has actually avoided accusing Cuba’s federal government of being behind the attacks. The U.S. did expel two Cuban diplomats, however the State Department highlighted that remained in protest of the Cubans’ failure to safeguard the security of American diplomats while on their soil, not a sign the United States felt that Havana masterminded it.
U.S. detectives have been searching to identify a gadget that might have hurt the health of the diplomats, thought to have actually been assaulted in their houses in Havana, however authorities have actually said no device had been discovered.
Sunday, June 18, 2017|4:07 p.m.
LARAMIE, Wyo.– The University of Wyoming is alerting audiences about offensive product in a taking a trip musical after Native American high school trainees walked out of a performance of “The Fantasticks.”
The walkout happened Thursday throughout intermission, The Laramie Boomerang reported. It wasn’t clear the number of students participating in the Native American Summer season Institute at the campus in Laramie left of the show.
The 1960 musical, which has to do with 2 surrounding dads who deceive their kids into falling in love by pretending to fight, contains a scene where characters dress up as and villainize Native Americans. Participants stated they were also stunned at the casual usage of the word “rape” in the musical’s discussion.
The walkout prompted criticism from UW’s United Multicultural Council and a boycott by another summer camp. The Upward Bound group canceled strategies to participate in Saturday’s efficiency the Department of Theater and Dance.
“The program especially demeans Native American cultures with outdated stereotypes of Native American appropriation by non-native actors using headdresses/warbonnets,” according to a statement by the United Multicultural Council. “It likewise represents Native American and Latino/Hispanic characters as the bad guys or villains of the program.”
The university prepared a program insert for future efficiencies describing the scene.
“With historical productions, we see a ‘point in time,’ which is various from the one where we live,” the insert reads. “We see portrayals of characters that hurt to view as 21st century audiences. The obstacle then, in producing historical works, is to help audiences comprehend the context and/or story for the play without taking unnecessary or unlawful liberties with the script.”
The long-running musical, a staple of regional, community and high school theater, plays in four various Wyoming neighborhoods today before closing next weekend in Laramie. The musical, which features the songs “Attempt to Remember” and “Quickly It’s Gon na Rain,” closed previously this month in New York City, having played an overall of 21,552 efficiencies in the capital of American theater.
Tim Nichols, who assisted set up the Native American Summertime Institute, informed The Boomerang that the material was regrettable
“It’s a 1960s play, but it was, in my view, unsuitable,” he said. “We shared our interest in the theater department and we shared our concerns with the trainees and, you understand, we’re OK.”
David Zalubowski/ AP
Monday, Aug. 24, 2015|10:15 p.m.
DETROIT– Americans are less delighted with their vehicles and trucks than at any time in more than a years, and it’s mainly due to the fact that they’re getting sick of dealing with recalls.
The 2015 American Customer Satisfaction Index, a yearly survey that involved 4,300 customers, discovered that fulfillment with cars dropped for the third straight year to the lowest level because 2004. High new-car costs likewise were an aspect.
“While it holds true that automobiles are now far better than they were 10 to 20 years back, it is worrying that numerous of them have quality problems,” said Claes Fornell, chairman and founder of the study.
Last year automakers remembered a record 64 million automobiles for issues such as exploding air bags and ignition switches that can unexpectedly cause engines to stall. The issues can be fatal. So far General Motors has actually agreed to compensate families of 124 individuals who passed away in crashes caused by the defective switches. Eight more individuals have actually passed away worldwide after being cut by shrapnel from blowing up Takata air bag inflators.
Rising costs likewise contributed to the customer frustration. Car prices are up 11 percent because 2010 and struck records all year, increasing to a typical $32,932 in July, according to the Edmunds.com auto website.
The index’s automobile satisfaction rating this year dropped almost 4 percent to 79 from 100. In 2004, the last time the score was that low, the market set the previous yearly record for recalled cars at 30.8 million.
Of the 27 brands tracked in the index, 15 saw their fulfillment scores decrease, while just Acura and BMW enhanced.
Foreign-based brands led the study, with Toyota’s Lexus luxury brand on top at 84, followed by Acura, Lincoln and Mercedes-Benz, tied at 83. BMW, Subaru, Toyota, Hyundai, Buick and Cadillac completed the leading 10. Fiat Chrysler’s Fiat brand had the lowest fulfillment rating at 73.
By GREG KELLER and STEPHANIE SIEK
PARIS (AP) – A shooter opened fire on a high-speed train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris on Friday, wounding two people before three American travelers controlled him, according to authorities and among the Americans involved.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, speaking in Arras in northern France where the suspect was detained, said one of the American travelers was hospitalized with major injuries.
2 of the Americans were in the military, according to their taking a trip companion and youth buddy Anthony Sadler, a senior at Sacramento State University. He informed The Associated Press that the hurt American was Spencer Stone of the Sacramento location and the other was Alek Skarlatos of Roseburg, Oregon.
“We heard a gunshot, and we heard glass breaking behind us, and saw a train worker sprint past us down the aisle,” Sadler stated from France, describing the drama. Then, they saw a shooter entering the train car with an automatic rifle, he said.
“As he was cocking it to shoot it, Alek just yells, ‘Spencer, go!’ And Spencer runs down the aisle,” Sadler said. “Spencer makes first contact, he takes on the individual, Alek battles the weapon far from him, and the gunman pulls out a box cutter and slices Spencer a couple of times. And the three people beat him up until he was unconscious.”
Another traveler assisted tie the shooter up, and Stone then helped another passenger who had been wounded in the throat and losing blood, Sadler stated.
“The shooter never ever stated a word,” he included.
In Washington, the Pentagon stated it “can just confirm that U.S. military member was injured in the incident. The injury is not life-threatening.”
The White House issued a statement saying that President Barack Obama was briefed on the shooting, and said, “While the investigation into the attack remains in its early stages, it is clear that their heroic actions may have avoided a far worse misfortune.”
The suspect is a 26-year-old , according to Sliman Hamzi, an official with the Alliance cops union, who spoke on French tv i-Tele.
Stone is with the Flying force based in the Azores and Skarlotos, a 22-year-old National Guardsman, had returned from a deployment in Afghanistan in July, according to Skarlotos’ step-mother Karen Skarlotos.
She spoke to her step-son instantly after the incident. “He sounded fine, but he was intense – he seemed like he had just warded off a terrorist attack.”
“Alek and Spencer, they’re big, brave, strong guys and they decided they were going to tackle him. And they did. Spencer tackled him, and Alek took the gun and clobbered him a great one,” she told the AP from Oregon. “Spencer got a couple good slices on him. But they were able to control him while the train was still moving.”
Authorities satisfied them at the next station as the train doors opened, she stated.
Philippe Lorthiois, an official with the Alliance authorities union, stated the attacker did not fire his automatic weapon but wounded one guy with a pistol and the other with a blade of some kind.
Private investigators from France’s special anti-terror police are leading the investigation, a spokesperson for the Paris prosecutor’s office stated.
“As constantly where an act that could be terrorist in nature is included, the best care and the best accuracy will be made use of,” Cazeneuve said.
Cazeneuve stated the Americans “were particularly brave and showed excellent bravery in very difficult circumstances” which “without their sangfroid we could have been confronted with an awful drama.”
A 3rd individual, French star Jean-Hugues Anglade, suffered a small injury while activating the train’s emergency alarm, Lorthiois said.
Passenger Christina Cathleen Coons of New york city described the drama in car 12 of the train in an interview with Ouest France paper.
“I heard shots, more than likely 2, and a man broke down,” she is priced quote as saying.
Coons, recognized as a 28-year-old vacationing in Europe, said a window broke above one lady’s head. “A guy fell to the floor and had blood everywhere,” she is quoted as saying.
She explained lying on the floor herself and taking pictures with her phone.
The attack happened at 1545 GMT while the Thalys train was going through Belgium, according to a statement from the office President Francois Hollande. Hollande stated he’s talked with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel, and the 2 leaders pledged to work together closely on the investigation.
Europe’s major rail stations, such as Paris’ Gare du Nord and Brussels’ Gare du Midi, are patrolled by soldiers armed with rifles, however passengers can board most high-speed trains without travelling through metal detectors or having their bags searched.
One exception is the Eurostar in between Paris and London. Travelers on those trains need to go through a metal detector and have their bags scanned as well.
Thalys is owned by the French and Belgian trains and operates high-speed trains serving Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Perfume, Germany.
French authorities have actually been on increased alert since Islamic extremist attacks in January left 20 people dead, including the 3 enemies. A lone assaulter asserting ties to Islamic extremists also targeted an American-owned factory in France earlier this year, beheading his employer.
Siek reported from New york city. Associated Press authors Eugene Johnson, Lolita C. Baldor in Washington, D.C. and Nadine Achoui-Lesage in Arras, France, contributed to this report.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material might not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
HAVANA– With the United States and Cuba set to restore complete polite relations next week, many Americans rightfully wonder what’s truly altered as an outcome of America’s brand-new policy with the communist-run island nation.
Given that we’re discussing Cuba, don’t anticipate everything to be perfectly clear:
1. How can Americans legally see Cuba?
U.S. residents require approval from the Treasury Department to invest cash in Cuba. Given that completion of the Eisenhower administration, many company deals with Cuba are banned and punishable with significant fines or even jail time. Cuba stays the only nation on the planet off-limits to U.S. travelers.
That said, it’s just recently become a lot easier for Americans to legally check out the island just 90 miles off the coast of the united state for reasons aside from tourism.
In January 2015, President Barack Obama expanded the classifications of licensed travel to Cuba. U.S. citizens can legally take a trip to Cuba if they are engaging in activities such as professional research, participating in an athletic occasion, performing in a show, working on a humanitarian task or participating in educational activities.
Previously many of these activities required getting a particular license and maneuvering a labyrinth of government bureaucracy. Now numerous U.S. citizens can basically “self license” if they think their travel to Cuba fulfills the legal requirements.
The brand-new Cuba policy allows thousands more Americans– but not everybody– to check out Cuba for the very first time.
2. Exactly what’s still off limitations?
Americans are still not permitted to see Cuba for the functions of tourist.
Travelers ought to be able to show their visit helped the Cuban individuals or had an academic part to it.
Absorbing rays on the beach and drinking mojitos does not cut it. That said, there doesn’t appear to be much of an effort by U.S. government officials to identify who did or didn’t hit the beach or go nightclub jumping in Cuba.
Travel companies are hectic developing added “people-to-people” offerings to meet the need spurred by the elimination of much of the formal traveler licensing procedure.
U.S. cruise lines such as Carnival have actually even suggested bringing tons of Americans for instructional trips and a number of ferry operators have recommended re-establishing regular service between Florida and Cuba.
Still wary of CIA plots against the island, Cuban authorities are studying the avalanche of U.S. propositions thoroughly.
3. Is getting to Cuba from the U.S. much easier?
Up until recently, U.S. tourists with licenses or going unlawfully often needed to fly by means of a 3rd country and were often at the mercy of the unforeseeable air travel schedules and creaky Russian aircrafts of Cubana Airlines, the badly run state airliner.
Now there are several everyday flights from Miami and more air travels being included from locations such as Tampa, New york city and Orlando run by major providers consisting of American and JetBlue. Nevertheless, seats still should be reserved through third-party charter business as airlines won’t be able to offer tickets to Cuba directly up until the United States and Cuba work out a new civil air travel agreement.
While the flight from Miami to Havana just takes 45 minutes, it’s advised to examine in four hours before departure time. Expect to invest a lot of time in various lines behind people bringing luggages loaded with car parts, flatscreen Televisions and spandex to needy family members on the island.
4. How about once I get to Cuba?
Cuba is truly not all set to get a big increase of visitors, particularly from the United States. There are not enough great hotels, and infrastructure remains in terrible shape. U.S. charge card still aren’t accepted in Cuba and forget overseas roaming on your U.S. cellular phone.
You will most likely be taking a holiday from the Web, too. Apart from hotels and a few lots Cuban government “hot spots,” there is very little connectivity in Cuba. Netflix might be available right here now however in fact you won’t be capturing up on your preferred programs.
5. How do I make certain my visit assists the Cuban individuals?
Critics of Obama’s new policy toward Cuba say any boost in trade will ultimately flow into the coffers of the Cuban government.
While it’s tough to cut the Cuban government from the formula, there are methods to make sure your stay advantages Cuba’s growing number of little business owners.
For starters, stay in a “casa particular” or private house rather than a government-run hotel. Airbnb.com has a huge listing of casas to pick from. Renting from Cubans supplies a more distinct, real experience than hotel stays and at a portion of the cost.
After 4 years of residing in Cuba, it’s extremely rare these days that I dining at a government dining establishment. Instead, the dining scene in Cuba focuses on “paladars,” the independently had restaurants that despite Cuba’s lots of scarcities are increasingly sophisticated and imaginative.
Bowing to personal industry, the Cuban government has stated it is intending on closing many of the state’s ineffective, drab dining establishments.
6. How many Cuban stogies can I restore?
The issue is most boxes of Cuban cigars in state-run stores cost far more than $100, with a box of premium Cohiba stogies generally going for over $400.
You can naturally purchase stogies (most likely phonies) for much less from the throng of black market sellers who stake out hotels bothering travelers. However those contraband smokes generally don’t had invoices.
Regular travelers to Cuba say that they have restored a box or 2 to the United States without experiencing any problems.
7. Is now the time to go?
While taking a trip to Cuba is still an inconvenience and legally dirty, lots of U.S. tourists believe now is the time to come.
Cuba is experiencing a boom in visitors from the United States and from other nations, who wish to see Cuba before the island ends up being too “Americanized.”
That’s probably a long way off from occurring because the Cuban government is withstanding any major changes to the island’s political system and state-controlled economy.
And there’s constantly the possibility that the next U.S. president could roll back many of the modifications enacted by Obama.
Still, a visitor coming to Cuba will witness a long misconstrued island in the midst of an interesting and long-awaited change.