Tag Archives: cancels

ABC cancels '' Roseanne ' following star ' s racist tweet

New York City (Meredith/AP)– ABC canceled its hit reboot of “Roseanne” on Tuesday following star Roseanne Barr’s racist tweet that referred to former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett as a product of the Muslim Brotherhood and the “Planet of the Apes.”

ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey said the remark “is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our worths.” Barr had apologized and erased her Monday-night tweet, calling it a “bad joke,” however the damage had currently been done.

Barr was likewise discarded by her skill company, ICM Partners.

The revival of the funny was a surprise smash for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co., and was depended on to lead the network’s fortunes next season. Its first brand-new episode in March was seen by more than 25 million individuals, with delayed viewing counted in, numbers that are significantly unusual in network television. ABC expected marketers to pay millions of dollars for the possibility to be seen throughout business breaks on tv’s most popular funny after “The Big Bang Theory.”

And it was all eliminated in a 53-character tweet.

President Trump responded to the program’s cancellation on Wednesday via Twitter. Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate remarks like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never ever called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the TERRIBLE statements made and stated about me on ABC. Possibly I simply didn’t get the call?

Among the few network reveals about a working-class household, “Roseanne” attracted significant attention upon its return when Barr’s character supported President Donald Trump. That made the program popular with conservative audiences, and Trump himself suggested the character’s backing had a lot to do with the show’s success.

Barr herself has a history of diving into political conspiracy theories on her Twitter feed, and she ended her Memorial Day weekend with a series of declarations. She slammed Democratic investor George Soros and tweeted that Chelsea Clinton was “Chelsea Soros Clinton,” suggesting she was wed to a nephew of Soros. Clinton herself remedied Barr online. Donald Trump Jr. retweeted two of Barr’s declarations about Soros, although not the remark about Jarrett.

Jarrett, who is black, was brought up in reaction to Twitter commentary that raised her name in relation to an Obama conspiracy theory. Barr tweeted: “muslim brotherhood & & world of the apes had a child=vj.”

She later tweeted an apology to Jarrett. “Forgive me,” she wrote. “My joke was in bad taste.”

Jarrett, who appeared at the taping of an MSNBC reveal about bigotry on Tuesday, said she hoped the event might be turned into a mentor moment.

“I’m great,” she stated. “I’m anxious about individuals out there who don’t have a circle of good friends and fans who come right to their defense.”

Barr was rapidly condemned. Comic Wanda Sykes, a “Roseanne” author, tweeted that she wouldn’t be going back to the program. Sara Gilbert, a co-star, likewise tweeted that the remark was abhorrent.

It was a quick decision at ABC for Dungey, who is the first African-American to work as programs chief for one of the significant broadcast networks, and her manager, network president Ben Sherwood. Disney president Robert Iger tweeted his approval: “There was just one thing to do here, and that was the best thing.”

3 weeks previously, “Roseanne” was the toast of ABC’s annual presentation of its programs prepares to marketers. Sherwood even joked then: “If anyone concerned play a drinking game based upon how many times we mention ‘Roseanne,’ you’re welcome.”

“Roseanne” earned an approximated $45 million in advertising earnings for ABC through its 9 episodes that started airing in March, according to Kantar Media. The firm estimates that the 13 episodes that had actually been purchased for next season would have generated as much as $60 million, with more through repeat episodes.

Hulu and the Laff comedy channel said Tuesday they were pulling re-runs of “Roseanne” from their schedules.

The cancellation has no clear precedent in television history, said David Bianculli, professor at Rowan University in New Jersey. The closest analogy is CBS pulling the plug on the Smothers Brothers variety show due to their anti-war views in the late 1960s and the same network not renewing “Lou Grant” at its peak, which star Ed Asner constantly contended was because of his outspoken political beliefs.

“Roseanne Barr’s comments were dreadful and reminiscent of dreadful time in our history when bigotry was not just appropriate however promoted by Hollywood,” stated Derrick Johnson, NAACP president and CEO. “We praise ABC for taking a stand versus bigotry by canceling ‘Roseanne.’ We applaud the network and … Dungey for placing the worths of diversity, inclusion and respect for mankind above scores.”

Barr got what she deserved, stated Shonda Rhimes, developer of hit ABC shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Scandal.”

“As I inform my 4-year-old, one decides with one’s actions,” Rhimes tweeted. “Roseanne chose. A racist one. ABC decided. A human one.”

ICM dropped Barr within hours of the cancellation, saying in a statement that the agency was “considerably distressed by the disgraceful and undesirable” tweet. Bruce Helford, executive producer of “Roseanne,” said he was “personally horrified and distressed by the comments and in no other way do they show the values of individuals who worked so difficult to make this the iconic show that it is.”

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights booked. This product may not be released, broadcast, rewritten or rearranged.

Nellis Flying force Base cancels air program

Aircrafts are shown at Nellis Air Force Base in an undated image. (File)
 Aircrafts are revealed at Nellis Flying force Base in an undated image. (File) Airplanes are revealed at Nellis Flying force Base in an undated image.( File). LAS VEGAS( FOX5 )-. Nellis Air Force Base

stated it will not host the 2018 Air and Area Expo however will plan for it the list below year. Although the air force base did not expose particular details for the cancellation, it did offer the following statement.

” This year will be an incredibly hectic year for the guys and ladies of Nellis and Creech Flying Force Bases as we handle new and more intricate missions and systems while concurrently increasing the Flying force’s lethality and leading our preparedness healing,” U.S. Airforce Warfare Center Leader, Maj. Gen. Peter Gersten said.

The 2017 air program was off the routine schedule as an unique occasion to mark the Flying force’s 70th birthday which drew almost 160,000 spectators.

Nellis Flying force Base stated the schedule update will allow the chance to move the show to the weekend after Veteran’s Day so it doesn’t conflict with other city events held on Nov. 11.

Copyright 2018 KVVU ( KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Marilyn Manson, hurt onstage in NY, cancels Oct. trip shows

Image

L.E. Baskow Marilyn Manson, performing at House of Blues on February 14.

Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017|1:33 p.m.

NEW YORK– Marilyn Manson is canceling numerous upcoming trip dates after the vocalist was injured in an accident onstage throughout a New York City performance and required to a medical facility.

“The Dope Program” vocalist released a declaration Sunday that stated his Oct. 2-14 shows will be rescheduled. That means dates in Boston; Huntington, New York; Toronto; Camden, New Jersey; Columbus, Ohio; Chicago; Milwaukee; Kansas City, Missouri; and Houston are impacted.

Manson, whose 10th album “Heaven Upside Down” comes out Friday, was hurt Saturday night towards the end of his set, ending the concert early. Variety reported that Manson fell backwards onstage and a prop fell on him. He will be recuperating at his home in Los Angeles.

Wanderer: Lil Wayne hospitalized with seizures, cancels Las Vegas program

Image

Lil Wayne performs at the Signboard Music Awards at the T-Mobile Arena on Sunday, May 21, 2017, in Las Vegas. (Image by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Monday, Sept. 4, 2017|8:05 a.m.

Lil Wayne canceled his Sunday night show at a Las Vegas nightclub after suffering numerous seizures in Chicago earlier in the day.

“Due to unexpected scenarios Lil Wayne will be canceling his formerly set up performance,” Las Vegas’ Drai’s nightclub said in a statement Sunday. “Our priority is the health and wellness of our artists. Everybody at Drai’s wishes Lil Wayne a quick healing during this time.”

Here’s more from Rolling Stone:

Wanderer: Lil Wayne hospitalized with seizures, cancels Las Vegas program

Image

Lil Wayne carries out at the Signboard Music Awards at the T-Mobile Arena on Sunday, May 21, 2017, in Las Vegas. (Picture by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Monday, Sept. 4, 2017|8:05 a.m.

Lil Wayne canceled his Sunday night performance at a Las Vegas club after suffering multiple seizures in Chicago earlier in the day.

“Due to unanticipated situations Lil Wayne will be canceling his previously set up performance,” Las Vegas’ Drai’s nightclub said in a declaration Sunday. “Our top priority is the health and wellness of our artists. Everybody at Drai’s dreams Lil Wayne a quick healing during this time.”

Here’s more from Wanderer:

GSA Cancels Look for New FBI Headquarters Site, Mentioning Federal Financing Gap

Federal Agencies Say $882 Million Funding Gap Puts Govt at Danger of Expense Escalations, Worth Decline of Current J. Edgar Hoover Bldg HQ

The federal government today officially announced it will cancel the look for a brand-new FBI headquarters site. The statement follows years of relocation preparation and a number of efforts to garner congressional assistance for a public/private collaboration to move the bureau from the crumbling J. Edgar Hoover Structure in Washington, D.C. to a brand-new office campus in the Washington suburban areas.

The list of potential sites for the 2.1 million-square-foot school was slowly narrowed over the previous couple of years to Springfield, VA; Greenbelt, MD and Landover, MD. However, the General Solutions Administration (GSA), the firm that manages federal real estate, had actually twice postponed granting the contract considering that late last year due to cost and budgetary concerns.

In a joint statement released by the GSA and FBI on Tuesday, the companies noted their previous assertion that complete funding of the task is important for the federal government to award a contract. While the fiscal-year 2017 budget request for the task totaled $1.4 billion, the $523 million appropriated in 2017 leaves an $882 million funding space, the agencies stated.

“Moving on without full funding puts the government at danger for cost escalations and the potential decrease in worth of the J. Edgar Hoover property that developers were to receive as part of this procurement,” the two agencies said. “The cancellation of the job does not minimize the requirement for a new FBI head office. GSA and FBI will continue to interact to resolve the space requirements of the FBI.”

While the GSA never ever announced a short list, JBG Cos., Vornado Realty Trust, Silverstein Characteristic and Lerner Enterprises were said to be in the running to develop the task. President Donald Trump’s friendship and connections with Vornado Chairman Steven Roth and Silverstein Characteristic Chairman Larry Silverstein drew criticism as potential conflicts of interest in granting the contract.

While the brand-new FBI headquarters did stagnate forward, the Springfield location and Fairfax County as an entire “continue to be an excellent alternative for federal firms searching for workplace,” kept in mind the Fairfax County Economic Advancement Authority in a statement.

In another statement, U.S. Senators Ben Cardin and Chris Van Hollen, and Congressmen Steny Hoyer and Anthony G. Brown, all Maryland Democrats, stated canceling the present request for propositions “puts America’s nationwide security at danger” and constitutes “a waste of numerous countless federal, state and local taxpayer dollars.”

“The Hoover Structure is crumbling around the FBI,” the Maryland legislators said. “The State of Maryland and Prince George’s County have invested enormous resources and time into this job. Our national security mandates that we move forward with constructing a safe, fully combined FBI headquarters. We highly disagree with this choice.”

If the Trump Administration hesitates to reevaluate its position, the lawmakers urged the GSA to progress as rapidly as possible by choosing one of the other formerly recognized different funding systems, inning accordance with the declaration.

British Airways cancels flights amidst worldwide computer outage

Image

Steve Marcus A British Airways’B777 passenger jet is shown at the gate after landing at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, Sunday, Oct. 25, 2009.

Saturday, Might 27, 2017|6:10 a.m.

LONDON– British Airways canceled all flights from London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports Saturday as a worldwide IT failure causes extreme disruption for travelers.

The airline stated it was suffering a “major IT systems failure” worldwide. It didn’t say what was causing the issue but said there is no evidence of a cyberattack.

Bachelor’s Degree stated terminals at Heathrow and Gatwick had become incredibly overloaded and cancelled all flights from those airports until 6 p.m. (1 p.m. EDT). It is prompting guests not to go to the airports.

Bachelor’s Degree has not stated exactly what is triggering the computer failure. It stated in a tweet that the problem is global.

Previously, travelers at Heathrow reported long lines at check-in counters and flight hold-ups.

One posted a picture on Twitter of Bachelor’s Degree personnel writing gate numbers on a white board.

“We’ve attempted all of the self-check-in devices. None were working, apart from one,” stated Terry Page, booked on a flight to Texas. “There was a substantial line for it and it later on transpired that it didn’t in fact work, however you didn’t discover that till you got to the front.”

Another tourist, PR executive Melissa Davis, said she was held for more than an hour and a half on the tarmac at Heathrow aboard a Bachelor’s Degree flight getting here from Belfast.

She stated guests had actually been told they might not transfer to other flights due to the fact that “they cannot bring up our information.”

Heathrow said the IT issue had caused “some hold-ups for passengers” and it was dealing with Bachelor’s Degree to fix it.

The issue comes on a vacation weekend, when countless Britons are traveling.

Bachelor’s Degree passengers were hit with extreme delays in July and September 2016 due to the fact that of issues with the airline’s online check-in systems.

Las Vegas school cancels classes for possible norovirus break out

NBC cancels Poehler comedy task '' Invite to Sweden''.

Image

Alexandra Aristarhova/ TV4 AB

Josephine Bornebusch, left, and Greg Poehler appear in a scene from the NBC comedy “Welcome to Sweden.” NBC has canceled the comedy starring Poehler, brother of actress Amy Poehler, two weeks into its 2nd period.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015|5:58 p.m.

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.– U.S. viewers aren’t going to see the love story on TELEVISION’s “Welcome to Sweden” play out.

NBC has canceled the comedy starring Greg Poehler two weeks into its 2nd period.

Poehler’s sis Amy served as one of the executive manufacturers of the series.

“Welcome to Sweden” was an international production, recorded in Sweden with American and Swedish stars. It aired there and in the United States.

The facility is based upon Greg Poehler’s real-life experience of falling in love with a Swedish female and transferring to her house country to be with her.

NBC states “Hollywood Video game Night” will air this Sunday in its location, and the network is choosing when the remainder of the episodes will certainly air.

Tony Bennett has flu virus, cancels London concert with Gaga

Image

Erik Kabik/ ErikKabik.com

Woman Gaga and Tony Bennett perform classic jazz standards from their cd “Cheek to Cheek” on Friday, April 10, 2015, at Axis at Planet Hollywood.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015|5:50 p.m.

NEW YORK– Tony Bennett canceled his London show on Tuesday with Lady Gaga due to a flu virus.

The 88-year-old singer said sorry to his U.K. fans on social networks. A statement from his press agent said ticket holders should “maintain their tickets to this event pending more info.”

Performance promoter Live Nation confirmed the canceled efficiency at the Royal Albert Hall. The duo also carried out Monday in London.

Gaga and Bennett won a Grammy this year for their collective cd, “Cheek to Cheek.”

The duo’s site states their next program is scheduled for Saturday in Paradise Island, Bahamas. They will perform four programs at New york city City’s Radio City Music Hall later on this month.