Tag Archives: council

Veteran public broadcasting exec to lead Nevada Arts Council

Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017|1:29 p.m.

CARSON CITY– A longtime public broadcasting executive in Nevada has been called the brand-new boss of the state’s arts council.

Claudia Vecchio, director of the Nevada Department of Tourist and Cultural Affairs, announced Thursday’s visit of Tony Manfredi as director of the Nevada Arts Council. Created in 1967, the council is a division of her department.

Manfredi spent 11 years with KNPB Channel 5, northern Nevada’s PBS member station. The native Nevadan most just recently served as senior vice president of content and marketing.

Vechhio said he has “incredible management and organizational knowledge” along with a solid background of advocacy and cooperation with artists and arts entities.

Manfredi states arts and culture have played a key role in his quality of in Nevada. He assumes the brand-new post Sept. 11.

Henderson council votes to extend moratorium on leisure weed

Image

Steve Marcus A view of the lobby at the Essence medical marijuana dispensary, 4300 East Sundown Rd., in Henderson Monday, Oct. 24, 2016. The business has 3 locations in the Las Vegas Valley including one on the Las Vegas Strip.

Tuesday, Aug. 1, 2017|10:35 p.m.

Cannabis consumers wishing to purchase leisure weed in Henderson will need to wait for at least another month after the Henderson City Council voted all to extend a moratorium on the product up until September.

The moratorium, which prevents the city’s five certified cannabis dispensaries from offering the plant for leisure usage, likewise avoids over a dozen combined cultivation, testing and production centers from running in the leisure market. Medical marijuana sales are not affected by the moratorium.

“We’ve been dealing with policies for a number of months now and we seem like we’re almost there,” Councilwoman Gerri Schroder stated. “We simply require a little bit more time.”

The city council on Feb. 7 chose a six-month moratorium that would have expired Sunday, after originally thinking about a yearlong moratorium as early as January. Tuesday’s vote will extend the moratorium to Sept. 7 and will be gone over even more at the council’s Sept. 5 conference.

Nevada legislated approximately one ounce of marijuana flower or one-eighth ounce of the THC equivalent of concentrates for leisure usage and belongings on Jan. 1 following the passage of last November’s Ballot Question 2. Recreational sales of the plant began on July 1 after short-term policies from the Nevada Department of Taxation and Nevada Legislature were approved previously this year.

Irreversible guidelines, as gotten in touch with by the initial start date for recreational marijuana sales per Ballot Concerns 2, do not take place until Jan. 1.

Amongst arrangements discussed at Tuesday’s conference, Henderson Mayor Debra March stated the city would think about enabling marijuana dispensaries to stay open 24 hours, which is presently enabled only in North Las Vegas. March, Schroder and acting Henderson Cops Chief Todd Peters cited that longer hours could help avoid a current string of break-ins of marijuana centers.

Twelve marijuana facilities have been gotten into given that the start of the year, Peters said.

“Longer hours would be much better for security– it deserves a conversation.” Peters stated. “The thefts have the tendency to occur after service hours.”

Owners of cannabis dispensaries in Henderson fulfilled Tuesday’s judgment with a generally positive reaction.

Andrew Jolley, president of the Nevada Dispensary Association and owner of Henderson-based The+Source dispensary, stated he was “pleased” that the city is in the procedure of drafting ordinances to enable retail sales.

“In the huge image I do not believe 1 Month is going to be very significant in terms of losing organisation,” Jolley stated. “But eventually I hope they choose to implement the will of the citizens and allow retail sales.”

Armen Yemenidjian, owner of Henderson-based Essence dispensary, concurred, adding the city was handling the procedure “diligently and deliberately.”

“It’s not the very best choice, but it’s a choice,” he stated. “It’s simply how Henderson does things, by the book.”

Editor’s note: Brian Greenspun, the CEO, publisher and editor of the Las Vegas Sun, has an ownership interest in Essence Cannabis Dispensary.

Council approves lease for professional soccer at Cashman Field

Image

Unique to the Sun Las Vegas Soccer LLC intends to bring a United Soccer League group to Cashman Field in 2018.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017|1:06 p.m.

. The Las Vegas City Council approved a lease arrangement this morning permitting a professional soccer group to dip into Cashman Field beginning in March 2018.

The lease was approved on a 7-0 vote.

If granted a growth team by the United Soccer League, Las Vegas would end up being the 33rd franchise in the league.

Las Vegas Pro Soccer LLC, headed by Brett Lashbrook, will pay an upfront charge of $50,000, and $6,000 per video game to play at Cashman Field, as well as covering all costs to change the field for soccer and back for baseball.

Mayor Carolyn Goodman has long desired a professional group in downtown Las Vegas, and lots of attempts at drawing in a Big league Soccer team to the city have failed.

“It looks like we are back in the hunt, and you are the most passionate and well-prepared individual,” Goodman informed Lashbrook. “We’ve been all set for it, and I know everyone on our group has been looking at it for three or 4 years.”

Lashbrook helped grow the Orlando City USL soccer group into an MLS franchise before pertaining to Las Vegas.

“The long-lasting vision is to maintain a professional existence at Cashman Field, and having the USL group here supplies a backstop as the 51s determine exactly what they will do in the future,” Councilman Ricki Barlow stated. “I couldn’t be more elated at the opportunity that was presented here.”

Barlow was visibly thrilled, tossing a soccer ball around Town hall and sending his option for the group name– the Las Vegas Neons.

“This is an item that I’ve been fighting for near to 5 years now,” Barlow said. “Particularly, as a former soccer gamer for more than 15 years, this is my enthusiasm.”

London council evacuates citizens in the middle of fire security issues

Friday, June 23, 2017|3:48 p.m.

LONDON– One London community is leaving some 800 families from five publicly owned apartment towers because of security concerns following the devastating fire that killed 79 people in a west London high-rise last week.

The relocation comes as homeowners of thousands of tower obstructs around Britain expressed concern about security after commonly utilized building products were blamed for rapidly spreading out the blaze at Grenfell Tower.

Camden Council in north London, which revealed the evacuation Friday night, was the first city government to take the dramatic step of clearing its buildings so safety upgrades might be made.

Council leader Georgia Gould stated the borough decided after the London Fire Brigade and council experts said they could not ensure the security of homeowners after inspecting the 5 towers. The inspectors were following up on previously unidentified safety problems from homeowners, she said.

“I have actually made the actually, truly tough decision to move individuals living there into temporary accommodation while we do the immediate works to ensure security,” Gould told reporters outside the public housing complex. “I understand it’s challenging, however Grenfell modifications whatever.”

Public security issues have been prompted by outside cladding known as aluminum composite panels, which are thought to have rapidly spread the fire at Grenfell Tower on June 14, trapping homeowners in their homes prior to firemens might conserve them.

Regional councils around Britain are testing comparable panels on hundreds of their buildings. Fourteen apartment or condo blocks have actually so far checked positive for flammable products.

But some citizens of the Camden structures, collectively known as Chalcot Estate, expressed aggravation with the absence of info they got about the evacuations.

Edward Strange, who survives on the 11th flooring of the Taplow Tower, was on his method to the airport when he found out about the evacuation on the radio and went back to discover council workers in neon security vests directing citizens to a close-by community center.

“I simply think it’s a complete overreaction,” he told Sky News. “Or a minimum of we ought to be provided the option. If we wanted to leave, we should have the option to leave. However being informed that we have to leave is just ridiculous. It’s our house.”

British Prime Minister Theresa May used a message of compassion to the affected homeowners, taking to Twitter to promise she would deal with pertinent authorities to use assistance.

“My ideas are with residents being left in Camden while their houses are made safe tonight,” she said.

The council encouraged residents to stay with loved ones, but assured to provide momentary accommodation, if that weren’t possible. Repairs on the building are anticipated to be finished within 3 to 4 weeks.

The council gave notice it had concerns about the cladding on its structures Thursday, when tests showed the product was not the fireproof variety it had actually purchased.

Earlier Friday, cops said they were thinking about submitting manslaughter charges in the Grenfell catastrophe.

In its most in-depth instruction yet on the criminal examination, the Metropolitan Cops on Friday verified locals’ suspicions that the inferno at Grenfell was touched off by a fridge fire.

The department likewise stated cladding attached to the 24-story public housing job throughout a current restoration stopped working safety tests conducted by detectives, and that cops have taken documents from a variety of organizations.

“We are taking a look at every crime from manslaughter onwards,” Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack told press reporters. “We are looking at all health and safety and fire security offenses, and we are examining every company at the minute associated with the building and repair of Grenfell Tower.”

The federal government has actually purchased an immediate assessment of the refrigerator model that began the blaze. McCormack stated the Hotpoint design FF175BP refrigerator-freezer had actually not gone through any product recalls before the fire.

Hotpoint stated Friday that “words can not express our grief at this horrible disaster” and added it was dealing with authorities to take a look at the home appliance.

The overnight fire quickly swallowed up Grenfell Tower, with flames soaring the outside of the building, raising issues that the cladding product connected to the concrete block didn’t comply with fire-safety guidelines.

Authorities are looking at all parts of the cladding system and its setup, McCormack said.

“Preliminary tests show the insulation samples gathered from Grenfell Tower combusted right after the test began,” she stated. “The preliminary tests on comparable aluminum composite tiles stopped working the security tests.”

Authorities now acknowledge the dangers posed by exterior cladding to thousands of people around the nation who reside in blocks like Grenfell Tower.

The government has actually called on all building owners, public and private, to send samples of cladding material used on their buildings for testing. Samples from 14 structures in London, Manchester and Plymouth have actually currently been found to be flammable.

Fears about cladding are not restricted to apartment buildings. A minimum of one hotel chain is employing experts to make specific its residential or commercial properties satisfy security policies. Premier Inn stated Friday it had “concerns” about the material used on a few of its buildings, though it is different from the type used at Grenfell Tower.

McCormack likewise repeated calls for anybody with details about the fire and all those in the tower at the time to come forward as police continue to comb through the ravaged structure to aim to determine all the victims.

Police says 79 individuals are either dead or missing and assumed dead in the blaze, although that number might change.

To make sure everybody steps forward, London Mayor Sadiq Khan vowed to seek an amnesty for people who might have been living in the general public housing block illegally. Prime Minister Theresa May also said the government won’t punish any fire survivors in the nation illegally.

“We wish to recognize all those who died as outcome of the fire at Grenfell Tower, and that is where I need the public’s assistance,” McCormack said. “I do not want there to be any covert victims of this catastrophe.”

Firefighters and emergency employees who battled the inferno have actually been leaving messages and homages to the victims at a makeshift memorial near the charred apartment block.

Heartbreaking messages composed on red London Fire Brigade Tee shirts offer poignant homages alongside flowers, toys and candles at the shrine. One tribute, from a firemen in the Kensington and Chelsea borough read: “20th flooring, we tried … we’re sorry.”

Another firemen composed “Our hearts go out to everybody touched by this disaster. We did our finest I assure.”

One t-shirt bearing the London Ambulance Service logo design said: “We refuse to forget you.”