Tag Archives: criminal

Dislike criminal activities increased for Second year in a row in 2016, FBI reports

Monday, Nov. 13, 2017|10:11 a.m.

WASHINGTON– Hate criminal activities rose for the 2nd straight year in 2016, with boosts in attacks inspired by predisposition versus blacks, Jews, Muslims and LGBT individuals, inning accordance with FBI statistics released Monday.

There were more than 6,100 hate crimes last year, up about 5 percent over the previous year. In 2015 and 2016, that number was driven by crimes versus people because of their race or ethnicity.

More than half the 4,229 racially inspired criminal activities protested black individuals, while 20 percent were against whites, the report shows. And Jews were targeted in majority the 1,538 criminal offenses that were encouraged by religious beliefs. Criminal activities sustained by predisposition versus LGBT people rose from 203 in 2015 to 234 last year.

The yearly report is the most comprehensive accounting of hate criminal offenses in the U.S. But authorities have long alerted it is incomplete, in part due to the fact that it is based on voluntary reporting by cops companies across the country.

The numbers most likely show an uptick taped by civil rights groups in harassment and vandalism targeting Muslims, Jews, blacks and others amidst the presidential project, which included sharp rhetoric from Republican politician Donald Trump and others versus immigrants, specifically Muslims. There were 307 criminal offenses versus Muslims in 2016, up from 257 in 2015, which at the time was the greatest number given that the after-effects of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

In launching the figures, the FBI stated hate criminal activities stay the “top investigative priority” of its civil rights unit and promised to continue collecting data on the issue. Attorney General Of The United States Jeff Sessions has stated it would be a leading focus of his Justice Department.

On Monday, Sessions said the Justice Department is awaiting a complete report from a task force on actions it can require to improve training for prosecutors and investigators, enhance information collection on hate criminal offenses and partner with local officials and neighborhoods. In the meantime, Session said, the department can continue to aggressively prosecute people who violate the civil liberties of others.

“The Department of Justice is devoted to guaranteeing that individuals can live without fear of being a victim of violent crime based on who they are, exactly what they think, or how they praise,” Sessions said in a declaration.

Supporters said they can’t properly address the problem without a fuller understanding of its scope.

“There’s a hazardous disconnect between the rising problem of hate criminal activities and the absence of trustworthy information being reported,” said Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan A. Greenblatt, who called for an “all-hands-on-deck technique” to address underreporting. “Police departments that do not report trustworthy information to the FBI risk sending the message that this is not a top priority concern for them, which might threaten neighborhood rely on their capability and readiness to attend to hate violence.”

Guy shot by Metro police during foot chase has substantial criminal history

Image

< img class=" picture" src=" /wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Rossi_t653.jpeg" alt

=” Image”/ > Ricardo Torres-Cortez Metro Authorities Assistant Sheriff Todd Fasulo goes over the case involving

Friday, July 21, 2017|6:45 p.m.

Related news

Three backyards separate an officer from an armed guy he’s chasing through the car park of a busy northwest valley shopping mall when the suspect all of a sudden turns and points a gun at him.

In a “split-second” decision, Officer Jeffrey Burr– who had actually seen the male grab the gun from his waistband as they ran– fired five times, seriously injuring Giuseppe Russo, said Metro Assistant Sheriff Todd Fasulo Friday afternoon.

Russo, 30, a twice founded guilty felon with a comprehensive arrest history in Clark County, stays at University Medical Center in critical however stable condition, while Burr, 29, is on paid administrative leave as the examination continues, Fasulo said.

Images from the remarkable occurrence, caught on a store’s security system and the officer’s body-worn video camera, were revealed by Fasulo during the instruction, which also shed more light on Tuesday’s shooting.

Just 43 seconds elapsed between Burr’s very first encounter with Russo and gunfire, Fasulo stated.

Cops received a call at 1:52 p.m. to the shopping mall at 6700 North Durango Drive concerning 3 individuals in a cars and truck watching consumers go into and leave a shop, Fasulo stated.

Upon a search of the license plate number before Burr got here, authorities identified the automobile had actually been taken three days prior, Fasulo stated.

At 1:58 p.m., Burr parks in front of the tan-colored Lexus sedan, giving Russo, who is standing near the car, commands to get in front of the officer’s SUV. “Get in front of the vehicle right now … hands on top of your head!” Burr states.

Russo seems complying but then takes off on foot, going through cars and trucks, jumping over one of them. “Get on the ground!” Burr shouts out several times as he closes the distance.

Click to enlarge photo

Ricardo Torres-Cortez Metro Cops examine an officer-involved shooting in which an individual was injured in the 6700 block of Durango Own on Tuesday July 18, 2017.

Russo continues running, passing the entryway of a Kohl’s department store when, all of a sudden, he turns and points a gun at Burr, who fires his Glock 17 and strikes him 5 times in his arm and hip area, Fasulo says.

As this was going on, the shopping mall was hectic with “a great deal of individuals, a great deal of cars and trucks,” Fasulo said. “He might have, instead of remaining outside, run back inside that store.”

The officer’s commitment at that point was to try to stop a male who ‘d been connected to felony criminal offenses, such as the taken Lexus– which was taken in a set of thefts where the gun Russo carried also was stolen– so he sees the weapon and understands the event could increase to making use of deadly force, Fasulo said. “I’m pleased that he did believe that quick.”

Burr and showing up officers tended to Russo, who lay seriously injured, placing a tourniquet on his arm before medics arrived, Fasulo stated.

The 2 men who ‘d previously been with Russo, consisting of 26-year-old Andrew Verdi, were positioned in police custody nearby after the shooting.

Verdi is reserved at the Clark County Detention Center on a drug charge, jail logs reveal. Russo likewise was scheduled there in absentia on one count each of attack on a protected person with a fatal weapon, bring and concealing a weapon without an authorization and being a felon in belongings of a weapon.

In 2010, Russo was convicted in two cases, for attack with a fatal weapon in one, and theft in the other.

From 2012 to 2014 he had a number of arrests in Clark County, including on counts of domestic battery, assault with a lethal weapon, drug belongings, and being a felon in ownership of a gun, Fasulo said.

Fasulo on Friday afternoon reminded the public to secure guns they own. This occurrence is a “great reminder and a fine example regarding why every weapon owner ought to be an accountable weapon owner and keep their weapons locked within their house, as well as keep a lock on the trigger. That way, we don’t have possible victims where that weapon is utilized versus, either in innocent residents or one of our officers.”

This was the 12th shooting including a Metro officer this year– the sixth nonfatal– compared with six throughout the same period last year, Fasulo stated.

Police investigate 2 possible hate criminal activities versus mosques

Saturday, June 24, 2017|8:02 p.m.

SACRAMENTO, Calif.– Authorities in California are examining 2 possible hate crimes versus Islamic centers in Sacramento and Davis.

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department says it is investigating an event at Masjid Annur Islamic Center in Sacramento. Officials state a deputy was waved down by a citizen Saturday afternoon and was resulted in a burned Quran filled with bacon, hanging by a handcuff from a fence.

The Sacramento Bee reports (http://bit.ly/2sDGhM2) that in a separate occurrence somebody owning by in a vehicle tossed pages removed of a Quran into the Islamic Center of Davis Friday night, throughout evening prayer.

In January, a woman broke windows at the mosque and left bacon strips on the entrance handles.

The lady, 30-year-old Lauren Kirk-Coehlo, just recently got five years’ probation after pleading guilty to a felony hate criminal offense.

Las Vegas men deal with more than 100 felony charges in criminal offense spree, authorities attacks

Prosecutors stated Wednesday that they have included lots of charges versus men implicated of making use of taken automobiles to ram police vehicle.

Hugo Carbajal Jr., 27, Francis Carbajal, 26, and Edgar Medina, 35, initially were accuseded of 47 counts consisting of theft, grand larceny and assault with a lethal weapon. Medina and Hugo Carbajal now deal with 113 felonies each, according to an indictment. Francis Carbajal now deals with 103 felonies.

District attorney Giancarlo Pesci said that as police continue an “exceptionally broad” examination much more charges could be handed down.

Chief Judge David Barker bought Medina and Hugo Carbajal held on $945,000 bail, and Francis Carbajal held on $910,000 bail.

The Carbajals and Medina are believed of being the ring leaders among six males accused of committing 20 to 25 felonies per night for the past few years, mostly automobile thefts and thefts.

Cops stated that while browsing the Carbajal house they discovered taken home, including all-terrain cars, tools, go-karts,.50-quality rifles and other weapons.

Defense attorney Johnathan Leavitt, who went to an indictment hearing Wednesday representing Hugo Carbajal, said he prepared to request a bail decrease.

“My client keeps his innocence in all of this,” Leavitt stated.

Recently, cops think, the group stole vehicles, rigged them by putting something heavy on the accelerator and aimed them toward patrol cars belonging to the Bureau of Land Management, Metro and the Nevada Highway Patrol. Those incidents– six overall– started April 29 and took place up until late July.

Three other males, Ivan Gonsalez, 29, Abel Elizalde, 29, and James Farnan, 23, likewise deal with felony charges in connection with the duplicated ramming of patrol car.

The vehicular missiles didn’t always strike their mark. One rammed into an officer’s next-door neighbor’s automobile. And on July 22, authorities said, the group aimed a car stolen in Mesquite the night before at an officer carrying out a traffic stop near Bermuda Road and Starr Opportunity. The vehicle missed the officer and hit a pole.

5 days later on, authorities said, the group used a stolen truck to ram an NHP parking area in a cannon fodder’s driveway at Desert Shores, near Cheyenne Avenue and Rampart Boulevard. The vehicle was hit so hard it went inside your house, and the truck caught fire.

In late July, Metro launched surveillance video of the group it said was ramming patrol cars. Citizen ideas assisted lead to arrests less than two weeks later on.

Contact press reporter David Ferrara at dferrara@reviewjournal.com!.?.! or 702-380-1039. Discover him on Twitter: @randompoker

Casey Kasem’s widow won’t deal with criminal charges

Image

AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

In this May 30, 2014, file photo, Jean Kasem, center, the wife of ailing radio personality Casey Kasem, appears in Kitsap County Superior Court, with her lawyers Joel Paget, left, and Steve Olsen in Port Orchard, Wash. L.a district attorneys stated Friday, May 22, 2015, they will certainly not file elder abuse charges versus Kasem, widow of Casey Kasem.

Friday, Might 22, 2015|6:19 p.m.

Click to enlarge photo

Casey Kasem in 2003 after getting the Radio Icon Award during the 2003 Radio Music Awards at the Aladdin in Las Vegas.

L.A– Los Angeles prosecutors said Friday that they will not file senior abuse charges versus Casey Kasem’s widow despite efforts by 3 of the radio character’s kids to have her prosecuted.

A charge examination sheet released by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said Casey Kasem had received consistent treatment in his final days which it would not be appropriate to charge Jean Kasem.

“Because of Mr. Kasem’s longstanding profound health concerns, this case can not be shown beyond a sensible doubt to a jury,” the choice read.

Jean Kasem was wed to the star announcer for more than Three Decade however was removed of control over his healthcare in the final days of his life.

Casey Kasem passed away in June 2014 in Washington state, where Jean Kasem had taken him after inspecting him from a Los Angeles-area medical center where he was getting perpetual care.

The longtime “American Top 40” host had a kind of dementia and an extreme bedsore when he died.

Quickly before his death, Casey Kasem’s child Kerri Kasem was selected as his conservator. She and his 2 other youngsters from a previous marital relationship called for senior abuse charges versus their stepmother at a news conference in January.

L.a authorities checked out the accusations, but prosecutors declined to bring charges. “The development of a bedsore by itself is inadequate evidence of abuse or disregard because of Mr. Kasem’s general weakened health,” the document stated.

Jean Kasem said her choice to move her husband to Washington was made to protect his privacy, the choice states.

Kerri Kasem said in a statement Friday she was distressed by the decision and would look for charges versus her stepmother in Washington state. “The L.a County District Lawyer, with her proclaimed interest in ending senior abuse, could do more,” Kerri Kasem’s statement checked out.

A spokesperson for L.a District Attorney Jackie Lacey said the workplace wouldn’t have any comment beyond exactly what was in the charge examination worksheet.

An email message sent to Jean Kasem’s attorney wasn’t returned Friday afternoon.

The announcer’s youngest child, from his marriage with Jean Kasem, however, has supported her mom in the household conflict.

Casey Kasem’s legacy reached well beyond music. His voice was heard as the character Shaggy in the “Scooby-Doo” TELEVISION cartoons and in numerous commercials.

His “American Leading 40” started July 4, 1970, in L.a, when the No. 1 tune was Three Pet Night’s cover of Randy Newman’s “Mom Informed Me Not to Come.”

In his signoff, Casey Kasem’s would inform audiences: “And don’t forget: Keep your feet on the ground, and keep grabbing the stars.”

Casey Kasem'' s widow won ' t face criminal charges

Image

AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

In this May 30, 2014, file photo, Jean Kasem, center, the other half of ailing radio character Casey Kasem, appears in Kitsap County Superior Court, with her attorneys Joel Paget, left, and Steve Olsen in Port Orchard, Wash. L.a prosecutors said Friday, May 22, 2015, they will certainly not file senior abuse charges against Kasem, widow of Casey Kasem.

Friday, Might 22, 2015|6:19 p.m.

Click to enlarge photo

Casey Kasem in 2003 after receiving the Radio Icon Award throughout the 2003 Radio Music Awards at the Aladdin in Las Vegas.

LOS ANGELES– L.a district attorneys said Friday that they will not submit senior abuse charges versus Casey Kasem’s widow despite efforts by 3 of the radio character’s children to have her prosecuted.

A charge examination sheet launched by the L.a County District Attorney’s Office said Casey Kasem had received consistent healthcare in his last days which it would not be proper to charge Jean Kasem.

“Due to the fact that of Mr. Kasem’s longstanding extensive health issues, this case can not be shown beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury,” the choice read.

Jean Kasem was married to the celebrity announcer for more than Three Decade however was stripped of control over his treatment in the last days of his life.

Casey Kasem passed away in June 2014 in Washington state, where Jean Kasem had taken him after checking him from a Los Angeles-area medical center where he was getting ongoing care.

The longtime “American Leading 40” host had a kind of dementia and a serious bedsore when he died.

Quickly before his death, Casey Kasem’s daughter Kerri Kasem was designated as his conservator. She and his two other children from a previous marriage required elder abuse charges versus their stepmother at a news conference in January.

Los Angeles cops looked into the allegations, but district attorneys declined to bring charges. “The property development of a bedsore by itself is inadequate evidence of abuse or disregard since of Mr. Kasem’s overall weakened health,” the plan stated.

Jean Kasem stated her decision to move her husband to Washington was made to safeguard his privacy, the decision states.

Kerri Kasem stated in a statement Friday she was upset by the choice and would seek charges versus her stepmother in Washington state. “The L.a County District Lawyer, with her proclaimed interest in ending senior abuse, could do more,” Kerri Kasem’s statement checked out.

A spokesperson for L.a District Attorney Jackie Lacey said the office would not have any remark beyond exactly what was in the charge examination worksheet.

An e-mail message sent to Jean Kasem’s lawyer had not been returned Friday afternoon.

The announcer’s youngest child, from his marriage with Jean Kasem, however, has supported her mother in the household disagreement.

Casey Kasem’s heritage reached well beyond music. His voice was heard as the character Shaggy in the “Scooby-Doo” TV cartoons and in numerous commercials.

His “American Top 40” started July 4, 1970, in L.a, when the No. 1 song was Three Dog Night’s cover of Randy Newman’s “Mother Informed Me Not to Come.”

In his signoff, Casey Kasem’s would inform viewers: “And don’t forget: Keep your feet on the ground, and keep grabbing the stars.”