Tag Archives: embattled

Report: Embattled Northern Nevada constable won'' t face charges

Tuesday, July 10, 2018|3:38 p.m.

CARSON CITY– A constable in Northern Nevada facing claims of unwanted sexual advances and other misbehavior will not face criminal charges.

The Reno Gazette Journal reports private investigators working under Attorney general of the United States Adam Laxalt determined 5 possible victims of sexual misconduct linked to Floor County sheriff Gerald Antinoro, however they did not make any “findings of criminal offenses” within the statute of constraints.

Laxalt is running for guv. The Republican has dealt with criticism from Democrats for refusing to denounce his recommendation from Antinoro.

An investigative report gotten by the paper likewise reveals the chief law officer’s office initially got a sexual harassment complaint including Antinoro in 2014, when now Democratic U.S. Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto headed the workplace.

The investigation followed a wide-ranging problem submitted by designer Don Roger Norman. His lawyer, Joey Gilbert, characterized parts of the examination as a “politically crafted response.”

Resignations, fallout grow for embattled manufacturer Weinstein

Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017|4:15 p.m.

LOS ANGELES– A prominent lawyer said Saturday she is no longer representing motion picture mogul Harvey Weinstein as he challenges unwanted sexual advances allegations dating back years, while a TELEVISION news anchor lodged another claim of misbehavior versus the motion picture mogul and a 3rd board member resigned from Weinstein’s company.

The advancements, in addition to the departure of yet another legal representative for Weinstein, are the latest fallout from accusations against the Oscar-winning manufacturer that The New york city Times detailed in an expose Thursday.

“My understanding is that Mr. Weinstein and his board are moving toward a contract,” Flower said in revealing her resignation on Twitter.

Attorney Lisa Flower didn’t react to an e-mail ask for additional comment. She previously has actually represented victims of sexual harassment and attack. Her deal with the co-chair of The Weinstein Co. drew fierce criticism online.

Charles Harder, another lawyer representing Weinstein, didn’t instantly reply to a request for talk about the developments. A Weinstein Co. spokeswoman, Nicole Quenqua, decreased to comment.

Lanny Davis, an attorney who likewise was dealing with Weinstein, is no longer encouraging the manufacturer, stated a person acquainted with the circumstance who was not licensed to speak publicly.

Davis declined comment, his workplace stated.

President Donald Trump, preparing to board a helicopter to take a trip from the White House to a North Carolina fundraising event on Saturday, was asked by press reporters to weigh in on the embattled Hollywood figure. “I’ve known Harvey Weinstein a long time,” Trump replied. When asked if he was shocked by the accusations, the president responded: “Not.”

Trump rejected a question about his 2005 “Access Hollywood” tape comments, where he extolled ladies letting him kiss them and get their genital areas because he is famous.

“That’s locker space,” he stated, echoing his characterization of the remarks after the audio was exposed throughout in 2015’s presidential project.

The accusations of sexual misbehavior against Weinstein were detailed in a report this week by The New york city Times. Weinstein is on indefinite leave from the company he co-founded while it carries out an examination into the claims made by ladies consisting of actors Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan and extending back years.

TV anchor Lauren Sivan contributed to them, detailing a supposed 2007 encounter with Weinstein in a HuffPost report Friday. Sivan, then operating at a New york city cable television channel, Long Island 12, declared that Weinstein cornered her in the hallway of a Manhattan dining establishment near to the public and masturbated in front of her.

Sivan stated she had rejected an attempt by Weinstein to kiss her. “Well, can you simply stand there and shut up,” she declares he reacted.

Sivan, who is now a press reporter and host for Fox broadcast TV’s Los Angeles station, Fox 11, didn’t right away respond to an ask for comment. However she declared the HuffPost report on Twitter.

“Yeah. This occurred. fortunately I didn’t require a task or favor from him + didn’t need to be courteous. Others did. Keep that in mind,” she tweeted, then followed up with a 2nd post: “For those asking why I waited? YOU attempt telling that story 10 yrs earlier. Just possible now due to the fact that of women with bigger names far braver than me.”

The scandal’s fallout consisted of the resignation of Weinstein Co. board member Marc Lasry, charirman and CEO of Avenue Capital Group, which was validated Saturday by a Lasry representative, Todd Fogarty. Lasry signed up with an exodus from the nine-member board, with billionaire Dirk Ziff and, according to reports, Technicolor executive Tim Sarnoff also leaving.

On another front, “Morning Joe” co-host Mika Brzezinski tweeted that “unless Harvey resigns” she will withdraw from a three-book deal she struck last summer with Weinstein Books.

“Authors, stars, and moviemakers ought to not work for any Weinstein company up until he resigns. Not a close call,” she tweeted, along with this: “Harvey Weinstein has to resign from his business, face his illness, and enter into a long, self-imposed exile.”

Weinstein has put in power in Hollywood for 3 decades, producing movies including “Pulp Fiction” and “Shakespeare in Love,” for which he won an Oscar. But his stature has actually lessened in recent years and his company has experienced a string of executive exits, layoffs installing lawsuits and postponed releases.

The New York Times article chronicled claims versus Weinstein from Judd and former workers at both The Weinstein Co. and Weinstein’s former business, Miramax, during several years. The report made a huge impact felt throughout the film market and somewhere else.

“This abuse of power should be called out, nevertheless effective the abuser, and we should publicly stand with those brave enough to come forward,” wrote actress America Ferrera on Twitter. Many others, consisting of Lena Dunham and Brie Larson likewise added their voices to the uproar.

The board of directors has actually pushed Weinstein to step down from the business he helped create, said an individual knowledgeable about the board’s considerations who was not licensed to speak openly. Weinstein has actually resisted, wishing to weather the storm. Discussions between Weinstein and the board have actually been heated and controversial, the person said.

Leadership of the Weinstein Co. will be presumed by Bob Weinstein, who is Harvey Weinstein’s brother, and David Glasser, the business’s chief operating officer.

Harvey Weinstein on Thursday provided a lengthy statement that acknowledged triggering “a great deal of discomfort.” He likewise asked for “a 2nd opportunity.” However Weinstein and his attorneys, including Harder, have slammed the New york city Times’ report in statements and interviews, though neither has actually referenced anything specific.

“We are confident in the precision of our reporting,” said a New York Times representative in a declaration. “Mr. Weinstein was aware and able to respond to specific accusations in our story prior to publication. In reality, we published his response completely.”

In an interview with The Associated Press on Friday, Weinstein lawyer Lisa Blossom had both safeguarded Weinstein and acknowledged he ‘d been “silly.” She saluted the women who have actually come forward to declare wrongdoing however said lots of claims were overblown and consisted of Weinstein telling a woman she “looked adorable without my glasses.”

Congressional Democrats, including Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, on Friday started offering charities thousands of dollars in donations they had received from Weinstein.

Raiders use First pick on embattled cornerback Gareon Conley

Image

David J. Phillip/ AP In this March 6, 2017, file picture, Ohio State defensive back Gareon Conley runs a drill at the NFL football searching integrate in Indianapolis. An attorney for the previous Ohio State star says the player denies an accusation made in a cops report launched Tuesday, April 25, 2017, that he sexually attacked a female. No charges have been filed and the incident is still being examined by cops.

Released Thursday, April 27, 2017|9:40 p.m.

Updated Thursday, April 27, 2017|11:30 p.m.

ALAMEDA, Calif.– Oakland Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie said his staff did substantial research study on Gareon Conley prior to using the 24th overall pick in the draft on the skilled but embattled Ohio State cornerback who has actually been implicated of rape.

“We did our due diligence throughout this entire procedure and we trust our research, the reports, everything that we have on Mr. Conley,” McKenzie stated. “I do not wish to enter all the details but the bottom line is we have actually done miles and miles of research to make sure we were totally comfortable with our decision, which we were.”

Conley said he took a polygraph test previously Thursday and is scheduled to consult with police Monday.

“I’m extremely positive that it will be solved,” Conley told press reporters during a conference call after the first round of the draft. “I took a test today that helps, when I make my statement and with all the evidence that I have, I feel confident that it will be dealt with.”

McKenzie stated that Conley was “hands down” the very best offered player when Oakland went on the clock. Coach Jack Del Rio called it a happy minute for the Raiders company.

Conley, 21, appeared like a lock to be selected early in the preliminary until earlier today, when it was revealed that he had actually been implicated of sexually attacking a lady in Cleveland.

He has actually called the claims “completely incorrect” and no charges have been filed as police investigate. Conley was called in an authorities report that information the claims but no info has actually been forwarded to district attorneys.

“It’s been genuine emotional but I made it through it,” Conley stated. “I just kept my faith strong and kept listening to my mom, my representative and my support and kept my head on straight.”

McKenzie sounded confident the circumstance will be solved.

“The research was done,” McKenzie stated. “It wasn’t simply a gut (feeling). It was based upon research. We are extremely confident in the information that we collected.”

A lawyer for Conley has actually said that his customer wanted to meet detectives and consented to provide a DNA sample to counter the sexual attack claims.

Regardless of obvious requirements at defensive deal with and middle linebacker, McKenzie and Del Rio rather selected a skilled player who was predicted to be a leading 15 pick prior to his stock took a hit.

“A really skilled corner that’s capable of playing man or zone,” Del Rio said. “Been well-respected by the individuals that I have actually spoken with personally about him. A guy that loves to complete, excellent teammate and actually a quality kid. He’s got great length, fantastic speed. Among those actually clean gamers that we were fortunate to get our hands on late in the first round.”

Conley started every video game over the previous two years at Ohio State and enabled opposing quarterbacks to complete simply 37 percent of their throws in his direction. The 6-foot, 195-pound junior had six interceptions in 3 seasons consisting of four in 2016 while playing almost strictly on the outside.

The pick addresses Oakland’s lack of depth in the secondary. Starters Sean Smith and David Amerson had up-and-down years in 2016 and the Raiders don’t have much behind them. Oakland also has a hole to fill out the slot after decreasing to pick up the alternative year on DJ Hayden’s contract this offseason.

Smith struggled in his first season with the Raiders and could be expendable depending upon how quickly Conley adjusts to the professional level. Smith, who was benched in Week 1 and was a consistent target on the NFL’s 24th-ranked pass defense, is because of make $5 million in base salary in 2017 and might make another $4.25 million as a roster benefit.

Hayden was the last cornerback the Raiders drafted in the first round and the very first first-round choice made by McKenzie after ending up being general supervisor. Hayden was the 12th total choice in 2013 but was prevented by injuries and missed out on 19 video games over 4 seasons in Oakland before the group cut ties with him this offseason.