Tag Archives: founded

California man founded guilty of torture deaths of 2 kids

Tuesday, April 24, 2018|3:49 p.m.

SALINAS, Calif.– A jury in Northern California convicted a 20-year-old male of torturing, starving and beating two children whose bodies were found in a storage system.

The jury on Monday discovered Gonzalo Curiel guilty in the 2015 killings of a 7-year-old young boy and his 3-year-old sibling. They likewise convicted him of abusing their older sister in their Salinas house, KSBW-TV reported.

Curiel’s former girlfriend and the children’s relative, Tami Huntsman, 42, pleaded guilty in February to two counts of murder. Huntsman had agreed to care for the 3 kids after their mother was killed in a vehicle accident and their daddy– who relates to Huntsman– was sent to prison.

An officer found the oldest child, then 9, with bruises and a damaged collarbone in the rear seat of a locked SUV in December 2015. Officials later situated the small bodies of her brother or sisters in plastic containers inside a storage unit in Redding, about 300 miles (483 kilometers) north of Salinas.

The kid informed detectives that Huntsman and Curiel eliminated her younger brother or sisters on Thanksgiving after she was caught stealing a bagel. The girl, now 12, was the primary witness in Curiel’s trial.

She told jurors she and her brother or sisters were stripped naked, sprayed down with cold water, beaten with a shower head, and locked in a tiny restroom for extended amount of times as penalty.

Curiel was a “sadistic” person who “taken pleasure in controlling and injuring children,” Monterey County Assistant District Lawyer Steve Somers said.

Curiel was a minor when the killings happened. He was attempted as an adult, but district attorneys were unable to look for the capital punishment under California law. He and Huntsman were scheduled to be sentenced next week.

Property owner shot, eliminated founded guilty felon throughout home intrusion: polices

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) –

A Tennessee house owner resisted and eliminated a burglary suspect who tried to take weapons from his home, police said.

Brent Bishop, 43, was just returning home when he discovered two males inside his home Wednesday night, inning accordance with the City Nashville Cops Department.

The man’s better half stated she was currently house when the men broke in through a back entrance and a scuffle occurred. She stated among the males struck her in the head with a hammer.

The lady stated she handled to break away and run to a next-door neighbor’s home to call for aid. Shortly after, they heard gunshots.

“Your life is kind of flashing prior to your eyes a bit,” one neighbor stated. “There’s a great deal of kids in this community, a great deal of older individuals too. It’s usually a quiet area. A lot of people run these streets in the morning. Every time I go to work, I pass them … A lot of great people around here. This is not something you expect at 8:30 during the night on a Wednesday.”

Bishop said among the suspects hit him in the head with a blunt things. He stated the males purchased him to open his gun safe, and the suspects got 3 long guns and a pistol.

The two males then allegedly left the home with the guns. Cops stated Bishop recovered a pistol from another part of his home and after that went outside searching for his wife.

Bishop’s partner said he experienced the suspects in the front backyard and opened fire, fatally injuring among the males.

Bishop invested the night in the health center, inning accordance with his spouse. Cops said he has a fractured skull.

Authorities have actually identified the suspect who was killed as 27-year-old Terry Adams Jr. of Ashland City.

Adams has numerous convictions in Cheatham County for automobile break-in, felony theft and intensified attack. He was likewise founded guilty in Nashville for attempted break-in. Adams pleaded guilty last year to felony meth ownership and unlawful weapon possession by a convicted felon in Nashville. At the time of last night’s home invasion, Adams was desired for probation offense warrants that were provided March 20.

The second suspect escaped without the stolen guns. Cops have not released his name or description.

Detectives are still working to figure out why the two thinks supposedly targeted the house.

The Bishops’ house was formerly broken into on Feb. 6. During that event, a flat-screen TV was taken. Authorities stated Adams is a suspect because case.

Copyright 2018 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Chinese billionaire founded guilty in United Nations bribery case

Thursday, July 27, 2017|6:45 p.m.

New York City– A Chinese billionaire who wanted to build a United Nations center in Macau was founded guilty on Thursday of paying more than $1.7 million in kickbacks to U.N. ambassadors to get it done.

The decision was returned after a day of considerations in Manhattan federal court against Ng Lap Seng, one of China’s wealthiest males. Ng was founded guilty of bribery, conspiracy and cash laundering charges.

Prosecutors provided evidence that Ng from 2010 to 2015 bribed 2 U.N. ambassadors, consisting of a U.N. General Assembly president, paying one $50,000 regular monthly at the plan’s peak to develop a center to serve struggling Southern Hemisphere countries.

Defense attorney competed the payments were regular. But the center was never constructed.

Ng looked at jurors as the decision was revealed however otherwise did not show emotion.

U.S. District Judge Vernon S. Broderick tightened Ng’s bail conditions, stating he was now “actually under home arrest,” confined under $50 million bail to a luxury Manhattan house where he has actually stayed for most months under 24-hour guard given that his September 2015 arrest.

“He can not leave that home. No ifs, ands or buts about that,” the judge stated.

No sentencing date was set. Ng, 69, might face up to 65 years in jail.

Ng’s attorney, Tai Park, did not instantly comment. After the decision, he told the judge there were multiple opportunities for appeal.

“Absolutely nothing has actually altered aside from the presumption of innocence is not there,” Park said. “We have actually been preparing him for this possibility.”

In a declaration, Acting U.S. Lawyer Joon H. Kim said Ng “corrupted the greatest levels of the United Nations.”

“Through allurements and no-show tasks, Ng turned leaders of the league of countries into his personal band of profiteers,” Kim stated.

The United Nations stated it “worked together thoroughly to assist in the proper administration of justice in this case, by disclosing thousands of files and waiving the immunity of authorities to permit them to testify at trial.”

“The organization is thinking about next actions as a victim of these crimes,” U.N. deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said.

The decision was a triumph for district attorneys who navigated tough legal concerns surrounding resistance provided to U.N. diplomats before winning the cooperation of suspended Dominican Republic Ambassador Francis Lorenzo, who pleaded guilty to charges and affirmed against Ng.

Lorenzo stated Ng initially paid him $20,000 a month as president of a media company prior to boosting that by $30,000 a month with guidelines to obtain Ng’s construction company called on main U.N. files as the business that would construct the Macau center.

In closing arguments, Assistant U.S. Lawyer Janis Echenberg said Ng paid more than $1.7 million in allurements to build a U.N. facility as huge as New York’s, to develop the “Geneva of Asia.” She said Ng “corrupted the United Nations.”

“Brick by brick, allurement by kickback, the offender built the path that he believed would construct his legacy,” she said.

In closing, Park derided the prosecution as “honestly outrageous.”

“It falls by its own weight,” he stated. “It’s a big no.”

He blamed the ambassadors– previous U.N. General Assembly President John Ashe and Lorenzo– for manipulating Ng.

“Mr. Ng actually threw his money in every instructions he was asked,” Park stated.

Ashe, who was jailed in the case but was not charged with bribery, passed away in 2015 in a mishap at his house.

South Dakota male founded guilty in death of Adrian Peterson'' s kid

Image

Joe Ahlquist/ Argus Leader via AP

In this Jan. 9, 2015 file picture, Joseph Patterson, who is charged in the 2013 killing of Tyrese Robert Ruffin, the 2-year-old kid of Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, is accompanied into Minnehaha County Court in Sioux Falls, S.D. Patterson’s trial is set up to start Monday, Sept. 14.

Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015|8:19 p.m.

CANTON, S.D.– A South Dakota jury on Tuesday convicted a guy of second-degree murder and other charges in the death of the 2-year-old child of Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.

The Lincoln County jury pondered more than 5 hours prior to discovering Joseph Patterson, 29, guilty of second-degree murder, first-degree murder and exacerbated battery, the Argus Leader reported. The deliberations followed two weeks of testimony about the October 2013 death of Tyrese Robert Ruffin, the boy of Patterson’s partner and Peterson.

Authorities alleged that Patterson attacked Tyrese while the 2 were alone in a Sioux Falls home. An autopsy concluded that the kid’s head sustained four blows, causing his brain to bleed, and physicians figured out that the injuries could not have actually been unexpected.

Patterson’s defense kept during the trial that Tyrese choked on a fruit snack. A physician who testified for the defense stated autopsy photos suggested injuries consistent with a youngster being given CPR after choking.

Patterson could deal with life in prison. He will be sentenced later on.

Peterson has said he discovered the child was his son only about 2 months prior to his death. He had been dealing with Tyrese’s mom to arrange a conference with the child when he got a call that the kid was hospitalized with severe injuries. Peterson said he raced to South Dakota and saw Tyrese for the first time a day prior to he died.

Suspended priest founded guilty of charges in sex tourism case

Image

Todd Berkey/ via Tribune-Democrat through AP

Rev. Joseph Maurizio is led into Federal Court for jury choice in Johnstown, Pa., Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015, by U.S. Marshals. An essential witness in the trial of the U.S. priest charged with taking a trip to Honduras to molest bad street kids during missionary journeys has recanted on the stand.

Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015|6:04 p.m.

JOHNSTOWN, Pa.– A Roman Catholic priest accused of taking a trip to Honduras to molest bad street kids during missionary journeys was convicted on Tuesday of numerous charges.

Federal jurors founded guilty the Rev. Joseph Maurizio Jr. of charges including 3 of four counts relevant to sex abuse of boys throughout journeys to a Honduran orphanage.

Maurizio was implicated of taking a trip abroad from 2004 to 2009 to have sex with three young boys, a charge referred to as sexual tourist. He also was founded guilty of ownership of youngster pornography and illegally transferring money to a charity to aid money the trips. Jurors acquitted him of another count of traveling outside the United States for sex with a minor and two other counts involving the transfer of funds.

The 70-year-old priest, who has actually been suspended from Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish in Somerset County, showed no response as the verdict was checked out to the stuffed courtroom. He is scheduled to be sentenced in February.

The priest repeatedly rejected the claims. His defense lawyer provided testimony recommending that job interviewers can plant ideas that lead to incorrect complaints.

Throughout the trial, a key witness recanted on the stand, affirming he was never molested by Maurizio as a 14-year-old child, however district attorneys argued that another youth had actually witnessed the abuse. 2 other Honduran guys testified that Maurizio abused them, one stating the priest offered him candy so the priest could fondle him and the other saying the priest asked to take his picture while he and another child, both about 14, were taking showers.

Defense lawyer Steven Passarello said he and his customer were “really dissatisfied” however respected the jury’s choice and would be dealing with post-trial motions and any appeals if needed.

Elizabeth Williams, president of ProNino UNITED STATE, the nonprofit that ran the orphanage between 2002 and 2011, stated the verdict was a recognition of the former orphans’ accusations.

“It sends out a clear message that you cannot cross the united state border to molest children,” Williams told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.