[not able to retrieve full-text content] Locations for Teens, with 6 treatment centers in California and Nevada, specializes in helping teenagers with mental health concerns such as depression, anxiety, injury and post-traumatic stress disorder, along with kids who engage in self-injurious habits.
WPLG/ AP In this Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017, frame from video, Myeshia Johnson weeps over the coffin of her husband, Sgt. La David Johnson, who was killed in an ambush in Niger, upon his body’s arrival in Miami.
Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017|5:50 p.m.
WASHINGTON– Some got compassion and solace. Some got silence. One got a promise of cash.
Loved ones of individuals who passed away in military service have stated diverse interactions with President Donald Trump in the difficult days and weeks after their enjoyed one’s death. Despite Trump’s boast that he connects personally to all families of the fallen, interviews with member of the families did not support his claim. Some never ever spoken with him at all, and a couple of who did came away more upset.
The Associated Press called relative of 21 of the 43 individuals who have died in military service given that Trump ended up being president. Of those who would resolve the concern, family members of 9 stated they had heard from Trump by phone or mail. Loved ones of nine others said they have not.
A number of spoke of being comforted by Trump but a minimum of one call went awry: Cowanda Jones-Johnson informed the AP that Trump spoke disrespectfully of her fallen nephew, Sgt. La David Johnson, when he called relative Tuesday. Johnson was among 4 servicemen killed in Niger earlier this month.
Chris Baldridge of Zebulon, North Carolina, told The Washington Post that Trump promised him $25,000 of his own cash when they spoke in the summertime about the loss of his kid, Army Sgt. Dillon Baldridge, killed in Afghanistan, however the check never came. The White House said Wednesday, after the report, that “the check has actually been sent out.”
Others awaited calls that did not come.
After Army Sgt. Jonathon M. Hunter passed away in a suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan in August, his family was told to expect a call from Trump. However it didn’t occur. Hunter, 23, from Columbus, Indiana, passed away 32 days into his first implementation because signing up with the Army in 2014.
Mark Hunter, his dad, stated a military casualty officer notified the family that Trump would call and the family was let down when he didn’t.
“Disappointed that he a minimum of didn’t call and thank me for my kid and our ultimate sacrifice,” Hunter said. “That’s all I wanted to hear. He didn’t need to state nothing else. That’s all I wanted to hear. From him– not the vice president.”
The family talked with Vice President Mike Pence, who matured in the same southern Indiana city, at the ceremony honoring the return of the soldier’s remains at Dover Flying force Base in Delaware. So did a number of other households who lost loved ones in uniform.
Calling every member of the family isn’t a presidential custom. Trump’s current predecessors have actually reached out to Gold Star households through letters, personal meetings and invitations. For Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, who saw much more war dead on their watch, individual call would have been a lengthy task. Still, Trump today utilized his calls as evidence of his support for the military, recommending he did more to honor the households than his predecessors.
“I think I have actually called every family of somebody who’s died,” Trump stated, then adding, “practically everyone.” He said it’s his practice both to make phone calls and correspond.
Trump spokesperson Sarah Huckabee Sanders repeated the claim Wednesday, stating the president “has actually reached all of the families that have existed to him through the White House Armed Force Workplace.” She did not state whether that contact always indicated a telephone call, or only a letter, and she did not deal with the specifics of why families of some war dead have actually received neither.
When someone is killed in action, a Pentagon officer notifies near relative and sends details to the White Home office that is validated and assembled. “Once that process is completed, the president or other members of the administration can take part in contact,” she stated.
That process appears to have broken down.
After Army Spc. Christopher Michael Harris, 25, of Jackson Springs, North Carolina, was eliminated in a suicide attack in Afghanistan in August, the White House provided to establish a call however “it failed” and no letter came from the president, either, said his widow, Brittany Harris.
Aaron Butler, a 27-year-old guardsman from Monticello, Utah, was eliminated Aug. 16 at a booby-trapped building in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan. His mom, Laura Butler, and family representative Costs Boyle said Trump has not called or sent a letter. The family is not complaining. “The family is really mindful that they do not want to be pulled into a partisan slugfest,” Boyle said.
Jodie Missildine’s 20-year-old stepson, Alex Missildine, was eliminated Oct. 1 when an IED exploded near his vehicle in Ninawa Province, Iraq. He had actually remained in Iraq for less than a month.
Jodie Missildine said the family had actually received a profusion of support from Washington because receiving news of Alex’s death. However when asked if Trump had actually been in contact, she demurred, saying, “We will not speak ill of a president who loves his troops.”
In his claims, Trump made no distinction in between fight and non-combat deaths. Past practice recommends that those who die battling are most likely than military-accident victims to trigger a president to reach out personally to the household.
After U.S. Army Specialist Isiah Booker died Jan. 7 in Jordan, obviously when operating heavy construction devices, President Barack Obama did not call. Neither did Trump after he took workplace that month. Chereisa Booker, of Schertz, Texas, said Trump had actually taken office by the time a condolence letter was processed and she and her husband received the letter. They also asked for and got one from Obama. However no calls.
Booker said “not truly” when asked if she wanted to speak with Trump. However Sheila Murphy did after her son, Army Spc. Etienne J. Murphy, 22, died May 26 after an armored lorry he was riding in rolled over in Syria.
“Since it was non-combat, I feel like possibly he believed it was a mishap, it does not matter,” Sheila Murphy said of Trump. “However my boy remained in Syria.” She states she’s waited in vain for a letter, after composing to Trump 6 weeks ago to tell him she was still deeply grieving.
“I hate sunrises since I have to handle another day that my son is not here,” she informed the AP Wednesday. “I welcome sunsets since I’m hoping that maybe when the sun goes down I will not need to handle another daybreak. So daybreaks are my opponent today.”
Cynthia Kimball got a letter from the president, but no call, after her Navy kid John Henry Hoagland III passed away in the crash between the USS John S. McCain and a merchant vessel in August. “They stated we might order more copies of it if we desired,” she stated. “It was pretty generic. I dislike to say that, due to the fact that it did come from Washington and the president. However, I’m going to guess that it was the very same or much like the letter that everybody else received.”
McCain, himself, however, called her and other households of the victims. He left a “actually great” phone message with his telephone number in case she required anything, she stated. Kimball lives in Fort Benning, Georgia, and her kid grew up in Cleveland, Texas.
Lemire reported from New York. Associated Press writers Jennifer Kay in Miami, Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia. Jonathan Drew in Raleigh, North Carolina, Kristen de Groot in Philadelphia, Jennifer McDermott in Providence, Rhode Island, Michelle Rate in Salt Lake City, and Hope Yen and Robert Burns
An annual health survey of Nevada’s kindergarteners found that more Silver State families than ever have health insurance and are also reporting fewer barriers to accessing health care.
The report, which compares information from the last 3 years by the Nevada Institute for Children’s Research study and Policy (NICRP) at UNLV, summarized study responses from nearly 7,500 parents standing for about 32,000 kindergarten students across the state’s 17 school districts.
Given that last year, the percentage of uninsured youngsters drastically decreased– by nearly 40 percent. That brought the variety of kids with medical insurance as much as 92 percent, findings show. The figure is staggering for Nevada, where the variety of uninsured kids under 18 is normally double the United States average. The authors associate the modification primarily to increases in Medicaid enrollment.
Meanwhile, the survey found, only about 21 percent of participants– down from approximately 25 percent in 2013– stated they had come across several obstacles, such as lack of transportation or cash, to accessing physical or mental health services. Regular medical professional and dental professional wellness checks were up about 1 percent.
“The healthier kids are, the fewer days they miss out on from school and the much better they have the ability to concentrate in class,” stated Amanda Haboush-Deloye, chief research partner for NICRP. “If children are healthy, mentally and physically, they are better able to concentrate on learning in the class.”
NICRP each year administers the Kindergarten Health Survey, in partnership with the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health and all the state’s school districts, to examine the overall health status of young children as they enter the education system. The findings identify health trends that can be used by educators and state authorities to guide policy and program development.
Added conclusions consist of:
16.1 percent of youngsters are underweight, 9.8 percent are obese and 21.7 percent are obese. The portion of obese kids decreased while numbers reveal slight increases in the obese and underweight categories. “Cravings and lack of access to nutritious foods is as much of a problem as overindulging or eating unhealthy foods,” stated Haboush-Deloye.
51.4 percent of youngsters did at least Thirty Minutes of exercise 6 or more times per week.
33 percent of households have an annual family income less than $25,000.
Nearly 35 percent of father and mothers reported breastfeeding at 3 months (up a little from last year), while about 22 percent were doing so at 6 months (a little down from last year). Breastfeeding has been connected with minimized threat of health problems such as cancer and diabetes in moms, and lowered risk of other disorders in kids like ear infections, allergies and weight problems in youngsters.
Other habits associated with nutrition and physical activity, such as playing computer and computer game, seeing TELEVISION and drinking soda, stayed fairly consistent with last year’s conclusions.
“It is essential to continue to determine these indicators so that we can monitor changes gradually and know that we are utilizing real data to inform choices associated with programs and policies,” Haboush-Deloye stated. “With these information we likewise know when the interventions chosen are making an improvement in overall results for young children.”
In addition to Haboush-Deloye, the research study team consisted of Patricia Haddad, Mirzah Trejo, Tara Phebus, and Dawn Davidson. NICRP also had the help of several extra research assistants who were crucial to the conclusion of this job.
To access the complete report, call the NICRP at -LRB-702-RRB- 895-1040.
Eric Gay/ AP
Friday, Aug. 21, 2015|11:57 p.m.
SAN ANTONIO– A federal judge in California has actually purchased the government to launch immigrant youngsters from household detention centers “without unneeded delay,” and with their mothers when possible, according to court papers.
In a filing late Friday, California U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee refused the government’s demand to reassess her ruling in late July that youngsters held in family detention centers after crossing the US-Mexico border unlawfully must be released quickly.
Calling the government’s latest arguments “repackaged and reheated,” she found the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in breach of a longstanding legal contract stating that immigrant kids can not be kept in unlicensed protected facilities, and gave company officials till Oct. 23 to comply.
Lawyers for Homeland Security had asked the judge to reassess her judgment, arguing that the firm was currently doing its finest to move households through detention rapidly which the centers had actually been converted into short-term processing centers.
Lawyers for the government are examining the order, said Nicole Navas, a spokeswoman for the Department of Justice, said Friday night.
This is the 2nd time Gee has actually ruled that detaining youngsters violates parts of a 1997 settlement from an earlier case. The settlement needs minors to be placed with a relative or in proper non-secure custody within five days. If there is a big influx of minors, times might be longer, but children still must be released as expeditiously as possible, under the regards to the law.
In her order, Gee countered that migration authorities “routinely failed to continue as expeditiously as possible to put accompanied minors, and in some circumstances, may still be unnecessarily dragging their feet now.”
Peter Schey, executive director of the Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law, stated that the court’s order “will safeguard expatriate kids and their mothers from lengthy and entirely senseless detention.”
The government poured millions of dollars into 2 huge detention centers in Texas after 10s of thousands of immigrant households, mostly mothers with youngsters from Central America, crossed the Rio Grande into the U.S. last summer season. Many have petitioned for asylum after taking off gang and domestic violence back home.
The centers in Karnes City and Dilley, both south of San Antonio, just recently held more than 1,300 women and children combined. A 3rd, smaller center situated in Berks County, Pennsylvania, held about 70 individuals. All 3 are overseen by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, but the two centers in Texas are run by private prison operators.
In between September 2013 and October 2014, some 68,000 family members– mostly mothers with kids in tow– were captured at the border, according to U.S. Customs and Border Security. Between last October and July of this year, less than 30,000 have been nailed, a drop authorities say is a result of better enforcement in both the U.S. and Mexico.
In her order Friday, Gee challenged Homeland Security’s claim that considerably limiting or ending its household detention policy might spark another surge in illegal border crossings, calling this “speculative at finest” and “fear-mongering.”
Tuesday, June 23, 2015|9:34 a.m.
WASHINGTON– The Obama administration will make clear that families of Americans held by terror groups will not be prosecuted if they pay ransoms, part of a broad user review of U.S. captive policy that will certainly be released Wednesday.
President Barack Obama bought the user review after the deaths of Americans held hostage by Islamic State militants. The households of some of those eliminated grumbled about their negotiations with the Obama administration, saying they were threatened with criminal prosecution if they pursued paying ransom in exchange for their loved ones’ release.
Two individuals knowledgeable about the user review stated there will certainly be no official change to the law, which clearly disallows providing money to terror organizations. However, the administration will explain that the Justice Department has never prosecuted anyone for paying ransom which that will continue to hold true.
The policy explanation wased initially reported by Foreign Policy magazine. Individuals acquainted with the evaluation confirmed the information Tuesday on the condition of anonymity due to the fact that they were not authorized to do so openly ahead of Wednesday’s release.