Carolyn Kaster/ AP FILE Members of the First Baptist Dallas Church Choir are seated behind President Donald Trump as he speaks during the Celebrate Liberty occasion at the Kennedy Center for the Carrying out Arts in Washington, Saturday, July 1, 2017.
Sunday, July 2, 2017|4 p.m.
BRIDGEWATER, N.J.– In his latest jab at the media, President Donald Trump on Sunday tweeted a mock video that reveals him mauling a man in a business fit– his face obscured by the CNN logo design– outside a wrestling ring.
It was not instantly clear who produced the quick video, which seems a doctored variation of Trump’s 2007 look on World Wrestling Home entertainment Inc. The 28-second clip was posted on Trump’s main Twitter account, with the message: “#FraudNewsCNN #FNN.”
The president in the past has branded the media as “the opposition celebration” and “the opponent of the American people.” He has taken particular aim at CNN, calling the network “fake news.”
Trump stayed on the attack later in the day, stating on Twitter that “the unethical media will NEVER keep us from achieving our objectives on behalf of our GREAT AMERICAN PEOPLE!”
Bruce Brown, the executive director of the Reporters Committee for Flexibility of the Press, condemned the video as a “hazard of physical violence against reporters.” He said Trump’s tweet was “beneath the office of the presidency.”
A White Home assistant firmly insisted the tweet must not send out a chill across the media landscape.
“I believe that nobody would view that as a threat,” homeland security adviser Tom Bossert said. “I hope they don’t. But I do believe that he’s battered in a way on cable television platforms that he has a right to respond to.”
CNN implicated Trump of taking part in “juvenile behavior far below the dignity of his office.”
White House authorities taking a trip with Trump during his weekend remain at his New Jersey golf club did not instantly respond to questions about who made the video or about any message the president might have planned to send.
The video appeared to be a doctored variation of a look Trump made on a World Wrestling Home entertainment Inc. show called “Fight of the Billionaires” in 2007, in which Trump appears to attack WWE CEO Vince McMahon.
McMahon’s wife, Linda, who established and built the business with her partner, now heads the Small Business Administration for Trump and was a generous benefactor to his project.
The video was published a number of days earlier by a Reddit user with the title, “Trump takes down phony news.” It was not clear whether that was where it originated or where Trump found it. Still, the user wrote Sunday about being “honored” Trump had actually tweeted the video. The user who published the video has a history of posts using anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant language.
The president’s spoken shots versus news outlets and specific members of the media have grown progressively individual in recent days even as lawmakers in both celebrations state the insults only threaten to weaken his political agenda.
Trump has actually singled out MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski and CNN for some of his most biting criticism, and barely is pulling back in the face of extensive condemnation from the political class.
“The fake media attempted to stop us from going to the White House, but I’m president and they’re not,” Trump informed an encouraging crowd Saturday in Washington.
A White Home spokeswoman, Sarah Sanders, told press reporters last week that Trump “in no way, form or style has actually ever promoted or encouraged violence.”
CNN, in its action to the video posted Sunday, stated it was “a sad day when the president of the United States encourages violence versus reporters. Clearly, Sarah Huckabee Sanders lied when she stated the president had never done so.”
CNN’s declaration kept in mind the weighty list of concerns before Trump– an overseas journey this week that includes a conference with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, the stalled health care bill, the hazard from North Korea. Rather of concentrating on those matters, CNN stated, “he is associated with juvenile habits far listed below the self-respect of his office. We will keep doing our jobs. He needs to begin doing his.”
Trump’s newest tweet came as Republicans and Democrats have been urging him to concentrate on leading the nation, rather than taking off on social networks.
For days, Trump has focused his ire on Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough, co-hosts of MSNBC’s “Early morning Joe.”
Trump required to Twitter on Thursday to call Brzezinski “insane” and compete she was “bleeding terribly from a face-lift” when he once saw them at his Florida estate. The remark was decried as sexist and repulsive by many Democrats and Republicans.
The MSNBC characters said Friday that Trump was lying about their December encounter and they questioned his “unhealthy fixation” with their program.
The hosts, who are a couple onscreen and off, likewise said the White Home told them a destructive National Enquirer story about their relationship would “disappear” if they called the president and excused extreme commentary. Trump rapidly disputed the claim on Twitter.
Republican officials acknowledged Sunday that Trump’s Twitter feed distracts from work like healthcare.
“We in Washington, we in the nation, can not be concentrated on tweets,” said Sen. Expense Cassidy, R-La., including that “I get so disappointed when we get focused on tweets.”
Gov. John Kasich, R-Ohio, stated he hoped Trump’s household would talk with him and state, “Knock it off.”
“The coarseness does not assist anyone,” he said.
Bossert and Kasich appeared on ABC’s “This Week.” Cassidy was on NBC’s “Fulfill the Press.”