Tag Archives: proposal

County discards proposal to let hair salons serve beer and wine

Tuesday, March 6, 2018|12:53 p.m.

Clark County commissioners today dropped a proposed regulation to let owners of hair salons and barbershops sell alcohol to clients, pointing out an absence of clearness and structure in the policies.

“There were simply a lot of questions about who would be offering the beverages, who would be marketing them, how they ‘d be distributed and numerous other problems,” Clark County Commission Chairman Steve Sisolak stated. “It simply got to be too much.”

If passed, the regulation, initially talked about at a Feb. 21 meeting, would have allowed clients to buy beer and wine along with their hairstyles.

Commissioner Lawrence Weekly said business owners report that customers frequently ask if they offer drinks like salons and barbershops in some other places.

7 states have authorized serving alcohol at beauty parlors, hair salons and health clubs, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Nevada is not one of them.

Housing proposal for old Badlands golf course is worthy of to be flushed


Christopher DeVargas A look at the old Badlands Golf Course, which beings in a natural ravine surrounded by the Queensridge master-planned neighborhood, Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.

Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018|2 a.m.

View more of the Sun’s viewpoint section

Developer Yohan Lowie has created a plan for the former Badlands Golf Course that is every bit as modern-day and ingenious as the flying maker, the landline telephone and motion pictures.

Lowie is asking the Las Vegas City board to allow the homes of be built with sewage-disposal tanks on the site.

That’s right, septic tanks.

In a bundled part of the Las Vegas Valley.

In 2018.

This is patently absurd, and the council needs to waste no time at all in declining the proposal, which is flawed for a variety of factors in addition to the waste treatment concern. Lowie’s strategy just plain stinks– potentially quite actually, needs to it in some way pass.

Remember that state law typically needs residential or commercial properties located within 400 feet of a community hygienic sewer line to hook into that line. In this case, however, the advancement websites in question are blocked from the sewer line by a gain access to road controlled by the property owners association for homeowner on the previous course. The HOA has actually refused to provide Lowie access to the roadway to build sewer connections to the websites he’s seeking to establish.

City Councilman Steve Seroka, in an interview with the Sun’s Yvonne Gonzalez, stated locals wanted to work through the logjams on the concern to make sure that any improvements on the golf course acreage wouldn’t even more injure their property worths or deteriorate their lifestyle. Seroka said Lowie had actually largely brought his present issues on himself.

“The only thing that prevents him from gravity-feeding the sewer system (therefore connecting to the sewer line) is his inability to simply speak to the existing property owners association and residents,” Seroka stated. “If we might resolve that, not only would the septic requirement go away, the contention about the whole issue would go away. So actually this comes down to a dialogue in between the designer and the existing residents.”

Whether that can happen after years of unsightly court battles and contentious city board conferences is unclear, but the council would be absurd to authorize the new proposition. Although Lowie contends the property can be established based upon an old zoning rule, his opponents state master plans restrict houses from being developed there. In addition, they compete that the location is in a floodplain which building houses and roads on the golf course acreage would entail spending countless dollars on infrastructure to channel stormwater through the community.

Last month, neighbors scored a victory through a court ruling stating the city board had overstepped its authority and violated the law in permitting a different plan for condo development to progress.

Now comes Lowie with his septic tank strategy, which is a harmful, regressionist concept.

For Las Vegas to continue to emerge as a modern, progressive neighborhood to developers and for people wanting to buy homes here, the project has to be rejected. Even better would be for Lowie to withdraw it and either return to the drawing board or attempt to work with the property owners.

PUC at odds on Switch after last-minute proposal is provided


Courtesy of Switch

Las Vegas-based information center Switch wish to leave the energy grid and produce its own power.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015|10:50 p.m.

. The three-member Public Utilities Commission heads into a controversial vote on Wednesday with clashing opinions and one swing vote that will eventually decide if a Las Vegas tech business can purchase and produce power without NV Energy, the state’s dominant power business.

The commission will vote on whether Change, which houses information for business like eBay and Sony, can leave its existing power buying contracts with the energy. Change is one of NV Energy’s greatest clients and at the center of a push by numerous gambling establishments who recently applied to sever ties with the utility. The last order will certainly set the phase for what Wynn Resorts, Las Vegas Sands and MGM Resorts International can expect from the PUC and its regulatory operations personnel– which is independent from the commissioners– throughout their application treatments and vote in the coming months.

The chairwoman of the commission, Aliana Burtenshaw, issued a draft order on Monday that denied Change’s exit application, saying it was not in the public’s interest.

Commissioner Rebecca Wagner on Tuesday issued a rebuttal, asking for an adjustment to the draft that would allow Change to leave as long as it paid a $27 million exit cost.

Commissioner David Noble will certainly now be the prominent swing vote, potentially passing Burtenshaw’s order, embracing Wagner’s change or finding another option in the Eleventh Hour.

The draft order and recommended modifications follow an eight-month application procedure where PUC regulative operations personnel, the utility and others investigated the prospective impacts of a Change exit on consumers and the power company. All celebrations calculated exit costs to find a fair value that would not trigger rates for other NV Energy customers to increase. Switch recommended $18 million. NV Energy made one idea that neared $60 million. The PUC regulative operations staff suggested $27 million.

Wagner’s proposal says the exit cost recommended by the PUC regulative operations personnel strikes a “affordable balance amongst the interests detailed in the [statute]”

“Personnel conducted comprehensive analysis to conclude that an effect of roughly $27 million is sensible,” she composed.

On the other hand, Burtenshaw’s draft order recommended the three-year forecasting design to approximate exit fees– which the commission utilized in previous exit applications for mining companies and other gambling establishments– is obsoleted for existing conditions in the state and might not give the best estimates to safeguard ratepayers who will certainly continue to be with the utility. 2 mining business– Barrick and Newmont– were the only companies to exit.

Throughout the case, regulators or their personnel never ever pointed out potential problems the forecasting design might posture.

Wagner’s order also suggests Burtenshaw’s order does not supply “a sensible path forward” for Switch or any other entity wishing to exercise its rights under the law, which initially entered effect in 2001.

Wagner recommended that the PUC needs to examine how it examines exit charges and whether the law ought to alter as currently written.

The statute, referred to NRS 704b, permits business to cut ties with the energy if they take in more than 1 megawatt of power each year, pay an exit cost and get PUC approval. (A Super Walmart consumes about three-quarters of a megawatt annually. Change uses 34.)

The law was an effort to offer massive power consumers with more options for buying and producing power. Lawmakers passed it during the California energy crisis spurred by Enron, the defunct energy company that controlled power markets in Western states to improperly control the cost and availability of electrical energy.

The PUC will certainly start the Switch case at 9:30 am Wednesday.

Winning proposal for lunch with Warren Buffett tops $2.3 million


Nati Harnik/ AP

In this Nov. 14, 2011, photo, billionaire financier Warren Buffett speaks in Omaha, Neb., at an event to raise money for the Girls Inc. charity company.

Friday, June 5, 2015|9:12 p.m.

OMAHA, Neb.– A Chinese business that develops online video games bid more than $2.3 million Friday to win a private lunch with Warren Buffett.

Beijing-based Dalian Zeus Home entertainment Co. bid $2,345,678 to win the online auction. The Glide Foundation uses the auction continues to help the bad and homeless in San Francisco.

The 2015 quote was still well listed below the 2012 winning proposal of $3,456,789– the most expensive charity item ever sold on eBay. In 2013’s winning quote was $2,166,766.

Many people want Buffett’s recommendations because the 84-year-old is revered as a financier and benefactor. Buffett is chairman and president of Berkshire Hathaway, and more than 40,000 individuals attended the company’s yearly meeting in Might to pay attention to Buffett response questions.

Over the previous 15 years, the lunch auction has raised $17.9 million for Glide, which supplies meals, healthcare, job training, recovery and housing support to the bad and homeless. The not-for-profit depends on the event to generate part of its roughly $18 million yearly budget plan.

Buffett has said the lunches generally last a minimum of 3 hours and cover a variety of topics. The only topic off-limits is what Buffett plans to invest in next.

“Every year, it’s an interesting experience for me,” Buffett said. “I have actually fulfilled a great deal of fantastic people in connection with it. Made brand-new buddies. Worked with an individual. Had a lot of great steaks, so I can’t whine.”

One previous winner, Ted Weschler, got a job offer after investing nearly $5.3 million to win the 2010 and 2011 auctions. Weschler now works as an investment manager for Berkshire and gets to chat with Buffett regularly.

The winners of the lunch auction often dine at Smith & & Wollensky steakhouse in New York City, which donates a minimum of $10,000 to Slide each year to host the lunch.

However a few of the previous winners who wished to remain confidential opted to dine at one of Buffett’s favorite Omaha, Nebraska, steakhouses.

No matter the place, the winner can raise to 7 friends.

Associated Press writer Amy Shafer in Chicago contributed to this report.