Tag Archives: seeks

Suit seeks brand-new recourse on for-profit college scams

Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017|3:40 p.m.

WASHINGTON– Two females who declare they were defrauded by a for-profit college have actually sued the Education Department and a private loan servicer in a case their lawyers say might supply a new legal solution for tens of countless students frustrated with the department’s inactiveness on claims looking for loan forgiveness.

The claim, filed Sunday in federal court in New York, comes as the department starts work this week rewriting Obama administration rules developed to improve securities for trainees defrauded by their schools.

Tina Carr and Yvette Colon had actually participated in Sanford-Brown Institute, a for-profit college in New York, and are looking for to have their trainee loans removed. Their lawsuit points out federal and state law that prohibits fraud along with the contract they signed with their school. Previous suits conjured up the department’s own policies in their search for loan relief.

Lawyers for the 2 students state the brand-new approach is necessary because Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has stalled factor to consider of tens of countless similar claims from customers.

Colon finished the school’s certificate program to work as a cardiac sonographer, only to discover that her qualifications were invalid and that she couldn’t move her credits to other schools, as had been promised, according to the fit. Colon is requesting for the cancellation of her four federal and two private loans amounting to $21,000.

Carr trained to be a medical assistant. She states the school lied to her about job positioning support and the ability to move credits. Carr has actually defaulted on her $14,500 federal loans and desires the loan forgiven.

“People’s rights not to spend for faulty items is well established in law, so whatever the Department of Education is or is not doing, the legal rights of debtors continue to exist and are enforceable versus the federal government simply as they protest personal celebrations,” stated Toby Merill, a litigator at Harvard University’s Project on Predatory Trainee Lending, which represents defrauded trainees.

“Yvette and Tina should have to be able to move on with their lives, and since it’s clear that the department does not have any intention for doing anything for cheated students, it’s necessary to bypass them and go straight to the court for their reasonable hearing,” she included.

Abby Shafroth, a lawyer at the National Consumer Law Center, said customers are turning to the courts due to the fact that absolutely nothing else is working.

“They have actually come to this method since all other opportunities have failed,” Shafroth said. “At a particular point there has to be another way, the department can not state ‘You have to utilize our process and not offer a process.”

The Department of Education did not respond to an ask for remark.

Navient, the loan servicer called in the fit, said it doesn’t have the authority to decide the fate of trainee loans.

“As mandated by federal requirements, all applications for defense to payment are sent to the United States Department of Education for processing, and, upon federal government instructions, servicers suspend payment while the Department of Education makes a discharge eligibility decision,” the company stated.

Career Education Corporation, which runs Sanford-Brown Institute, did not respond to a request for comment. In 2013, the school reached a $10 million settlement after an investigation by New york city Attorney General discovered that the school regularly misrepresented its job positioning results in trainees. It has ever since shut down all of its brick-and-mortar campuses, however still runs online.

Profession Education Colleges and Universities, the for-profit industry lobbying group, also did not return an ask for remark.

Work on student loan relief has mostly stalled since DeVos presumed office. She has halted 2 Obama-era efforts that required more defenses for students and has built up a backlog of some 87,000 loan cancellation claims, according to a report published today. The Associated Press reported last month that DeVos is thinking about abandoning the Obama administration practice of totally erasing trainee loans and granting defrauded trainees only partial relief.

Critics state the Trump administration is watching out for its good friends in the for-profit market and putting their interests ahead of students’. DeVos has employed Robert Eitel, who worked as a leading legal representative for Profession Education Corporation, an umbrella company for SBI, as her senior therapist. She likewise designated a former dean at DeVry University to serve as head of the department’s enforcement unit. On the other hand, earlier this year, President Donald Trump paid $25 million to settle charges his Trump University deceived customers.

DeVos says she is intent on safeguarding trainees’ rights, however says the Obama policies were too lax and could allow for some candidates to abuse the system.

However Carr, 60, the medical assistant hopeful, strongly disagrees, stating the loans should be forgiven.

“They made a lot of pledges and they provided nothing, I have absolutely nothing to reveal for it,” says Carr, who now struggles to make a living as a sales associate in a department store. “We need remedy for this, I am stuck in limbo.”

Kohl’s Spurns Store Closings, Seeks to Grow Sales by Downsizing Stores, Expanding Online

Dept. Shop Seller Diminishing ‘Functional’ Area at Half its 1,100 Stores to Preparation for Online Push

National department store chain Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) has actually increase initiatives to “optimize or ideal size” its shop fleet throughout the country. Unlike other outlet store chains that have mainly been closing stores, the Milwaukee-based seller has actually decided to keep its large portfolio of shops, but plans to minimize retail floor area in half of its 1,100-stores by year-end.

Kohl’s chairman and CEO Kevin Mansell stated the strategy belongs to the merchant’s technique to produce capacity throughout its shop network to support e-commerce satisfaction.

” Our shops remain at the core of our omnichannel method and we will continue to buy them by opening smaller sized formats, rightsizing and optimizing our selling space, and working to make sure that shopping in our shops is an appealing and inspiring experience for our clients,” Mansell said.

” I do not see shop closures as having a meaningful effect throughout the near future,” Mansell stated. “That does not suggest there will not be individual shops, just like always … But, in general, we feel great about the portfolio we have.”

Optimizing and Rightsizing Square Video

So far, approximately 300 Kohl’s shops have actually been retrofitted with new interior layouts, focusing stock and shop screens in smaller sized spaces. By the end of 2017, almost half of Kohl’s shops are anticipated to feature the smaller formats.

For instance, Kohl’s Warner Robbins store will be decreased from 89,000 square feet to a 62,000-square-foot format. Kohl’s Fort Smith store will be trimmed from an 87,000-square-foot format to 62,000 square feet.

Next spring, Kohl’s will open a new single-level 55,000-square-foot store in Greenfield, WI. The store will relocate from the present two-level 85,000-square-foot store in nearby Southridge Shopping mall.

Previously in 2017, Kohl’s relocated its 80,000-square-foot Charlotte, NC, store to a close-by 55,000-square-foot location.

During the 3rd quarter, Kohl’s strategies to open four other smaller-format shops and its fifth e-commerce satisfaction center. The 937,000-square-foot center in Plainfield, IN, will process and ship Kohls.com orders.



Updated: Quality Care Properties Seeks Funding To Conserve Largest Renter, Abandoning REIT Status

<a

HCR ManorCare Falls Behind in Full Rent Payments, Pursues Out-of-Court Restructuring

Quality Care Residence(NYSE: QCP), the new healthcare REIT set up by HCP last year to take the troubled skillled nursing center operator, HCR ManorCare Inc., off its hands, is facing a hard choice.

With HCR ManorCare falling back in rent and doggedly pursuing an out-of-court restructuring, Quality Care Properties is considering taking control of the struggling competent nursing center operator, which is without a doubt its most significant renter.

Nevertheless, as QCP just recently acknowledged, such a relocation might cause it to lose its REIT status

As it pursues its alternatives, Quality Care stated it is looking for a dedication from HRC ManorCare’s loan providers for acquisition financing of approximately $500 million to be used to re-finance HRC’s existing financial obligation and supply operating capital.

Quality Care would promise money and substantially all properties of both skilled nursing
and hospice entities to secure the financing.

Quality Care is searching for a dedication by June 15.

[Editor’s Note: This story was upgraded Friday June 9 with info on financing request.]

Quality Care Characteristic was formed in 2016 when HCP Inc. (NYSE: HCP) spun off HCR ManorCare and other health care-related homes. While releasing itself from ManorCare enabled HCP to concentrate on higher-growth chances in its diversified healthcare real estate portfolio, it saddled Quality Care Characteristics with the prospect of a difficult turn-around circumstance.

Since March 31, Quality Care’s holdings included 257 post?acute/ competent nursing residential or commercial properties, 61 memory care/assisted living properties, one surgical hospital and one medical office complex throughout 29 states. HCR Manor Care leases 292 of the 320 properties, accounting for 94% of QCP’s earnings.

The REIT revealed that HCR ManorCare remains in default of its master lease contract, behind completely lease payments, and HCR’s lending institutions have actually also accelerated loan payments from the Toledo, OH-based nursing center operator.

The operator’s problems are not new to Bethesda, MD-based Quality Care. HCP initiated the spin-off as part of a strategy to boost its portfolio performance, which was being hindered as the more comprehensive knowledgeable nursing facility market continued to experience difficulties from much shorter lengths of stays for homeowners, modifications in Medicare compensation designs that lowered compensation rates, and lower resident counts.

HCR ManorCare’s monetary problems escalated this spring. In April, the company entered into a forbearance agreement with HCR ManorCare agreeing not to pursue “exercise of solutions” readily available to it as an outcome of HCR ManorCare’s default under its master lease and security agreement.

The forbearance arrangement needed, to name a few things, that HCR ManorCare pay $32 million in rent on the very first of April, Might and June of 2017, with as much as $7 countless the quantity got monthly potentially avilable in loans back to HCR ManorCare.

This month, HCR ManorCare only made a $15 million rent payment, less than half its total under the forebearance arrangement, according to a Quality Care filing with the United States Securities & & Exchange Commission.

HCR ManorCare notified Quality Care that its secured lending institutions have actually accelerated their loans which the decreased lease payment “corresponds to the quantity that it thought to be proper to pay at this time in light of the impressive velocity by HCR ManorCare’s secured loan providers, the desire to protect liquidity for its stakeholders, the incurrence of professional charges and other restructuring expenditures and newly provided HCR ManorCare management projections of minimized capital from the QCP-owned properties.”

HCR ManorCare also forecasted a decrease in the future financial efficiency compared to forecasts it made even earlier this year.

Quality Care said it continues to remain in discussions with HCR ManorCare about its lease default and a prospective out-of-court restructuring, saying it “thinks that an out-of-court restructuring will require a considerable decrease in HCR ManorCare’s liabilities, however included it might offer no guarantee that the required agreements among stakeholders would be reached.

On the other hand, QCP stated it is thinking about all alternatives, including taking complete equity ownership of HCR ManorCare.

While Quality Care thinks such a restructuring would allow HCR ManorCare’s to create a sustainable company operation, if it were to occur, it would likewise indicate that QCP would not be able to keep its REIT status.


Josh Duggar seeks to join sis' ' personal privacy suit

Tuesday, June 6, 2017|1 p.m.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.– Reality TELEVISION personality Josh Duggar faced “baseless public examination” after a magazine revealed that sisters informed police they had been molested by him years previously, legal representatives for Duggar said in a problem in which he looks for to join his sis’ breach-of-privacy lawsuit over the revelation.

4 of Duggar’s sis are suing the city of Springdale and Washington County, Arkansas, and publishers of InTouch Weekly, which first revealed their identities.

The brother or sisters were amongst the “19 Kids and Counting” on the TLC reality reveal that chronicled the individual life of Arkansas parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar. The show was pulled from the network after reports appeared in 2015 that Josh Duggar had molested sis Jill Duggar Dillard, Jessa Duggar Seewald, Jinger Duggar Vuolo and Joy Duggar, in between March 2002 and March 2003 when they were minors.

The sisters state private investigators promised them privacy after a confidential tipster reported that their sibling had actually molested them and a babysitter. Attorneys for the siblings state the city and county breached that promise when the magazine gotten documents that made it simple to recognize the sisters. The magazine obtained the files through a public-records demand. The sis declare InTouch then exposed them globally.

Josh Duggar’s grievance– submitted Friday in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville– states the discoveries forced him “to relive agonizing memories and experiences.” His attorneys also said he “was also based on the embarrassment and severe psychological suffering of being openly recognized.”

The sis’ attorneys have stated the lawsuit has to do with safeguarding children who have been abused.

“Revealing juvenile identities under these circumstances is undesirable, and it’s against the law. The media and custodians of public records who let these kids down need to be held liable,” the sis’ lawyers stated in a statement last month.

The Associated Press left messages Tuesday looking for comment from agents for the city, county and the publication.

PBS special ‘The Bomb’ seeks to tell story of atomic weapons

Image

U.S. Army/ AP

In this July 16, 1945, sequence of file images, a mushroom cloud is tape-recorded by an Army automatic motion picture video camera 6 miles away as the first atomic bomb test was carried out at Alamogordo, N.M.

Monday, July 27, 2015|6:53 p.m.

ALBUQUERQUE– The development of the atomic bomb in a New Mexico secret city and newly restored and declassified video footage will certainly be featured in a new PBS special released as the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki methods.

“The Bomb,” which begins airing today on a lot of PBS stations, looks for to tell the story of a weapon that changed history and remains to influence relationships amongst dueling world powers.

Filmmaker Rushmore DeNooyer stated the task took a year and half to complete, since manufacturers needed to comb through video footage and images only recently declassified by the U.S. Department of Defense.

That video revealed the “ironic appeal” of mushroom clouds detonating over the New Mexico desert and the Pacific while presenting a major danger, DeNooyer stated.

“We’re attempting to take 70 years of history and tell it in two hours,” DeNooyer said. “We probably invested the very first six months just looking into and checking out.”

The very first atomic bomb test– the Trinity Test– occurred in the southern New Mexico desert as part of the Manhattan Task, the deceptive World War II program that provided enriched uranium for the atomic bomb.

The job included three research study and production facilities: Los Alamos, New Mexico; Oak Ridge, Tennessee; and Hanford, Washington.

“Everything was hush-hush … go where you are told,” stated retired U.S. Army engineer and Trinity witness Roger Rasmussen. “They understood precisely who I was and why I was there. And that was much better than I knew.”

For years, just grainy black and white video footages of scientists working at the Trinity website and the blast were offered to the public. But DeNooyer and manufacturers got access to a color-home video shot by a Los Alamos researcher, depicting life in the secret town. They also included color to old images and video footage, providing a new method to look at the Trinity Test.

The movie likewise reveals the terrible impact on Japanese citizens and talks about John Henry’s 1946 New Yorker essay on the victims of Hiroshima that shaped popular opinion on the hazard of nuclear weapons.

Besides the Trinity Test and battles of Japan on Aug. 6 and Aug. 9, 1945, the movie examines post-World War II nuclear tests and Cold War stress, including the Cuban Missile Crisis.

DeNooyer said he thought the movie was necessary given today’s debate over the Iran nuclear contract and fears that terrorists groups may try to get a nuclear bomb.

“We need to appreciate it due to the fact that the bomb is still there,” DeNooyer said. “The risk is that we do not really think about it as much anymore. But we still have adequate (bombs) to damage human civilization.”

Switzerland: U.S. seeks extradition of 7 FIFA officials

Image

Steffen Schmidt/Keystone through AP

In this Oct. 29, 2007, image, a person stands beside the FIFA logo design at the FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland.

Thursday, July 2, 2015|12:20 a.m.

BERLIN– Swiss justice officials say they have gotten a formal request from the United States to extradite 7 FIFA officials jailed in Zurich in May.

The Federal Workplace of Justice said Thursday the demands were gotten July 1, within the deadline needed by a bilateral treaty.

They are based upon a U.S. probe into alleged bribery worth more than $100 million involving high-ranking authorities at soccer’s world governing body.