Tag Archives: southern

Storm triggers mass blackout, damage, diverted flights in Southern Nevada

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) –

A dust, wind and rain storm knocked out power and caused damage throughout the Las Vegas Valley on Saturday night.

Mobile phone alerts called out after 8 p.m. when a severe thunderstorm caution was provided. Not too long after, the storm that relocated through the east triggered wind speeds as high as 71 miles per hour in the valley, according to the National Weather Condition Service.

As the storm moved into downtown Las Vegas, damage and power interruptions were reported through Daybreak Manor.

As of 10 p.m. on Saturday, more than 62,400 NV Energy consumers were supposedly without power in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas and Henderson, as well as the Laughlin location. Crews were on scene throughout the valley, but price quotes of when power would return diverse.

[RELATED: Clark County opens shelters for locals without power after monsoon storm]

“All hell broke loose,” 51s fan Ryan McAnally said by phone. The Las Vegas 51s baseball game was postponed due to the weather condition.

Audience video revealed a dust storm sweeping Cashman Field causing families to run from their seats. The regularly scheduled game will be followed by a seven-inning video game on Sunday, the 51s revealed on Twitter.

Las Vegas Fire & & Rescue reported four power poles down near Bruce and 17th Streets and no power in the location. Two minutes later on, the department reported a number of poles leaning on Decatur Boulevard and Washington Opportunity.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Cops were on scene at power failures and downed devices and tree sites to monitor traffic and public security.

McCarran International Airport reported a delay overage of about 25 minutes on Saturday night, with incoming fights being held up until 10:30 p.m. at least due to the storms. Getting here flights were delayed too.

According to visitors in the area for the River Regatta, power was knocked out early at night on the Bullhead City side of the Laughlin area. Guests told FOX5 the elevators were without power and rooms had no other way to cool.

On Sunday morning, after thousands of valley residents were reported to have actually lacked power, NV Energy said they would be generating teams from their office in Reno, in addition to employees from Rocky Mountain Power in Utah, to assist accelerate repair work.

NV Energy teams have been out because the storm started to deal with repair work, inning accordance with a spokesperson with the power business. The representative added that valley citizens more than likely would not get full power up until Monday morning.

Copyright 2018 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Monsoon season begins in southern Nevada

July 1 was the first official day of monsoon season.
 July 1 was the very first main day of monsoon season.

July 1 was the very first official day of monsoon season

. LAS VEGAS( FOX5) – It’s monsoon season in southern Nevada and it’s best to be gotten ready for the worst. July 1 was the first main day of monsoon season. This weekend, the Las Vegas Valley has an opportunity to get its very first taste of that monsoon moisture.

Beatriz Martinez with the Regional Flood Control District stated she has invested the in 2015 preparing for another summertime monsoon season. “We completed almost a lots jobs in the last year,” Martinez said. “We construct flood centers all year long, everything from channels to washes to detention basins.”

Those jobs span across southern Nevada, from Henderson to Centennial and all the way to Moapa.

” Throughout the monsoon season is when we advise people that we have flash flooding threat, and we warn them not to drive through flooded streets, and make certain kids aren’t playing in our flood control facilities,” Martinez said.

Copyright 2018 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights scheduled.

Vegas offerings progress to keep Southern Californians interested

Image

Steve Marcus Tourists take photos at the Thanks for visiting Fabulous Las Vegas sign Saturday, March 14, 2015, on the Strip.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018|2 a.m.

Las Vegas and gambling might seem synonymous in the general public consciousness, however the reality is a bit more nuanced.

It ends up that “gaming” now accounts for only a third of hotel and gambling establishment income.

Most of money made on the Strip– about 52 percent– originates from food and beverage as Las Vegas evolves to keep up with changing tastes and aims to remain a location for Southern California visitors. Shopping, conventions and entertainment make up the rest.

Those were the conclusions shared by speakers today at the Las Vegas conference of the National Association of Property Editors, an event of the nation’s property press.

“Las Vegas is continuously reinventing itself to keep Southern Californians coming,” stated Daniel Lesser, chief executive of LW Hospitality Advisors, a New York-based consultant to hotels, resorts and gambling establishments.

Lesser stated Las Vegas now seeks to be known as the world’s biggest dining establishment town and a home entertainment venue in addition to for its casinos.

It’s not that betting income has declined, added Richard “Boz” Bosworth, who partnered with Virgin Atlantic founder Richard Branson and other financiers just recently to buy the Acid rock Hotel. Instead, cash produced by restaurants, bars, entertainment and convention business has actually surpassed the video gaming component after more than a years of improvement.

Hotels now generate specialists in bar and dining establishment style, said Manny Dominguez, a principal at Cooper Carry, a nationwide architectural and style company. Lobbies are developed to welcome individuals to remain and consume, while bars are becoming more attractive.

“Definitely, you want people to use your home as much as possible,” added Bosworth, the basic partner in the group that plans to convert the Hard Rock into a new Virgin Hotel by 2019.

The Virgin Hotels Las Vegas, the latest of almost a dozen planned lodgings using the Virgin brand, is an example of how casinos are progressing, he stated.

The renowned Acid rock, located about a mile off the Strip, was known for its high-energy lifestyle and was an early adaptor of the swimming pool celebration, Bosworth said.

But after its rebranding as a Virgin Hotel, it will have 6 brand-new restaurants, six new bars, 2 nightclubs, and hotel rooms will be “softened” to appeal more to a female customers.

“Organisation in Las Vegas today is different than in 2002,” Bosworth said. “Virgin will generate the sizzle the Hard Rock began 23 years ago. However it requires upgrading.”

Texas college authorities employed for College of Southern Nevada

Friday, May 11, 2018|3:40 p.m.

Federico Zaragoza

College of Southern

Nevada Federico Zaragoza An administrator at a five-campus college district in Texas has been selected as the next president of the College of Southern Nevada.

Federico Zaragoza stated in a declaration Friday by CSN that he wishes to develop success and eminence at Nevada’s largest neighborhood college. He is due to begin Aug. 15

Zaragoza has actually been vice chancellor for economic and labor force development at the Alamo Colleges District in given that 2004.

The Nevada System of College Board of Regents unanimously approved Zaragosa’s choice based upon suggestions from search committees, professors, trainees and neighborhood members.

CSN has more than 44,000 trainees at three schools and seven satellite learning centers.

Zaragoza changes Michael Richards, who retired in January after Ten Years as CSN president.

Fiery Southern California crash kills 3 Las Vegas teenagers

Dylan Mack (left), AJ Rossi (center) and Brooke Hawley (right) were killed in a fiery crash in Huntington Beach Thursday morning.
Dylan Mack( left), AJ Rossi( center) and&Brooke Hawley( best) were killed&in a fiery crash in Huntington Beach Thursday early morning.Bani Duarte( Source: Huntington Beach Cops Department) Bani Duarte (Source: Huntington Beach Authorities Department ). HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA (FOX5 )-. Three high school trainees were eliminated and another was injured in a fiery crash in Huntington Beach Thursday early morning. A woman thought of driving under the influence has been apprehended. A schoolmate of the three eliminated confirmed they were Centennial High School students from Las Vegas.

Police reacted to the crash involving 2 cars at 1:08 a.m., when officers got here, they saw a vehicle on fire in the intersection. Firefighters responded and extinguished the fire.

Three victims died at the scene and were identified as Centennial High School junior Brooke Hawley, and elders Dylan Mack and AJ Rossi by a classmate.

A Centennial High moms and dad stated Alexis Vargas was hurt in the crash. He was taken to an area injury center.

A lady, recognized as Bani Duarte, 27, was jailed for automobile manslaughter while intoxicated and driving under the influence causing injury.

Citing the initial investigation, authorities stated a Hyundai Sonata driven by Duarte struck a Toyota that was stopped at the intersection.

Stay with FOX5 and FOX5Vegas.com for developments.

Copyright 2018 KVVU ( KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights scheduled.

5 MS-13 gang members detained for 10 murders in Southern Nevada

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) –

Las Vegas City police stated they have jailed 5 suspects in connection with 10 murders that took place throughout a year. The suspects are connected with the MS-13 gang.

2 of the murders occurred in 2017 and eight occurred in 2018. All of the murders happened throughout 12 months.

The investigation involved the Las Vegas City Cops Department, FBI, in addition to law enforcement from Fresno and Los Angeles.

Authorities said the suspects associated with the criminal activity are very violent. All of the victims were shot or stabbed various times.

Retired Metro officers who connected to FOX5 in the weeks prior to the announcement said they heard of numerous “dismembered” bodies disposed near Mt. Charleston and Lake Mead.

“We are confident the suspects involved have actually been located and arrested,” Sheriff Joe Lombardo said.Metro did NOT offer the names of any of the suspects who were arrested. Police state they were driving south on Jones, on their method to commit another murder, when they were jailed. https://t.co/sMLFNxx20f!.?.!— Adam Herbets(@AdamHerbets)

March 26, 2018 Lombardo stated this investigation has been a leading concern for the department and he takes pride in his officers for resolving the cases rapidly.”I have stated in the previous iterations of public looks that MS-13 didn’t have a large footprint here in the Las Vegas Valley

. I still believe that,”he said.”We feel great that additional criminal offenses committed by this specific gang have been reduced. It would be remedy to believe that they wouldn’t continue with their actions in the future, but we feel great that we have them under control. “Capt. Robert Plummer, of City’s Murder Area, stated detectives were able to link the weapon utilized in both 2017 murders together. Daniel Clark, the very first victim,

was shot to death in March of 2017. Clark’s previous sweetheart said she has begun to feel closure now that his killers have actually been detained.

Richard Gaudio, the second victim, was killed on New Year’s Eve as he was lighting fireworks in a next-door neighbor’s driveway.” I have actually been scared ever since. I’m really shocked.

I hesitate to go anywhere. I believe that they may come back!” one next-door neighbor stated, speaking with FOX5 on the condition of privacy.

“He was breathing. His pulse was genuine faint. “Capt. Plummer states NOT all victims are gang associated.– Adam Herbets (@AdamHerbets ) March 26, 2018 In January, Las Vegas Metro police

search and rescue teams were performing an unassociated search and rescue operation when they discovered a body. The victim was a previous MS-13 Gang member. A few days later on, Arquimidez Sandoval-Martinez was partying with buddies at a downtown club. He went outdoors and was never seen once again, Plummer

stated. Two weeks later, his body was recovered by a division of forestry officer near Lake Mead and State Path 147. During the examination, homicide investigators discovered both victims knew each other and both were included with the MS-13 gang. Plummer said on March 2, investigators

took the suspects into custody on Jones Boulevard. Detectives learned they were on their way to dedicate another murder. At least six of the 10 victims

were kidnapped before they were eliminated and their bodies were discarded in a mountain area, Plummer stated. Several of the victims claimed association with other Mexican

gangs. On Dec. 31, 2017, another victim, Richard Gaudio was standing in a driveway when a car pulled up and he was shot to death. Another victim Daniel Clark was murdered on March 3, 2017.

The weapon that eliminated Clark and Gaudio was matched through forensic evidence. The other victims include Carlos Pachaca-Rodriguez, Juan Carlos Estrada Raya, Jose Hernandez, Izzak Towery, Earl Ryan, and Rony Fuentes.”Our examination thus far has recuperated 18 firearms, “Plummer stated. The guns include an AR-15, semi-automatic pistols, and shotguns. Eight of the guns were stolen in City’s jurisdiction.

One was stolen in Henderson. The 4 adult suspects are presently being held on federal immigration charges, Plummer stated. There is likewise one juvenile in custody

. 3 of the suspects are from El Salvador and one is from Honduras. In partnership with the FBI, Las Vegas Metro cops submitted the case to the

U.S. Lawyer’s office for factor to consider of the following offenses: kidnapping

, attack with intent to dedicate murder, first-degree murder, use of a firearm leading to death, and criminal offenses occurring on federal land. Case sent to the U.S. lawyer’s office for the following charges: kidnapping, assault with intent to devote murder, first-degree murder, usage of a gun

leading to death, crimes happening on federal land. City stated the existing footprint of the MS-13 gang is “roughly around less than 50 that we have actually recorded here in Clark County.”MS-13 is a global gang coming from El Salvador and California. Nevertheless, transnational gangs have the tendency to go from city-to-city, so it is not uncommon to find them in places outside of the border. Copyright 2018 KVVU(KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Buffalo gores camper on Southern California island

Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018|4 p.m.

AVALON, Calif.– Authorities say a buffalo has actually gored a guy camping on Southern California’s Catalina Island.

Los Angeles County constable’s authorities say the man was sitting on a log Saturday evening and the buffalo was grazing nearby.

Sgt. Ray Ward says that when the buffalo came better, the guy attempted to move away which’s when the animal charged.

Ward states the buffalo gored the guy’s left arm. He didn’t understand the degree of the injuries.

The Orange County Register reports that the man was dealt with at the scene then airlifted to a medical facility on the mainland.

Buffalo prevail and stroll easily on the back side of Catalina Island, where there are camping sites. Ward states it’s very rare for them to attack people.