Tag Archives: suspected

Suspected impaired motorist apprehended in death of Las Vegas bicyclist

Click to enlarge photo

Danesmin Solis-Cortes A bicyclist who was struck late last month in the east Las Vegas valley by a believed impaired chauffeur has actually died, Metro Authorities announced today.

Jason Eckert, 44, died on Thursday, five days after being struck by a 2000 Dodge Intrepid driven by Danesmin Solis-Cortes, police said.

Solis-Cortes, 40, was speeding down Indios Opportunity when he blew through a stop sign and struck Eckert, among three bicyclists, at the intersection with Mountain Vista Street, near Stone Highway and Twain Opportunity, authorities said.

The other cyclists, a lady and an 8-year-old child, were not hurt, cops stated.

The automobile continued and smashed into a brick wall, authorities said. On Saturday, the remains of the wall, which were still surrounded by yellow police tape, were spray painted with the message, “Drunk Killed Father.”

It wasn’t immediately clear who vandalized the wall.

Solis-Cortes suffered small injuries and was reserved on a count of DUI after being treated at Sunrise Health center and Medical Center, where Eckert died, police stated.

The suspect, who is being held at the Clark County Detention Center without bond, is set up to be charged in court on Thursday, prison logs reveal.

Authorities: Woman suspected of eliminating 3 Valley teenagers meant to flee nation

<aBani Duarte (Source: Huntington Beach police)
 Bani Duarte( Source: Huntington Beach authorities) Bani Duarte( Source: Huntington Beach authorities). HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA( FOX5)-. A female thought of killing three Las Vegas teenagers in a fiery DUI crash in California was apprehended Sunday after authorities discovered she may have been trying to leave the nation.

According to the Huntington Beach Police Department, Bani Duarte, 27, was apprehended Sunday at 1 p.m. in the city of Downey. She was arrested on a $5 million warrant without event.

On March 29 at 1:08 a.m., authorities responded to the lethal accident in Huntington Beach. Arriving officers found a lorry on fire at the crossway and firefighters extinguishing it. Three Las Vegas teenagers, recognized as Brooke Hawley, Dylan Mack, and AJ Rossi, were found dead at the scene. A fourth teenager, recognized as Alexis Vargas, had the ability to leave the automobile after the crash. Vargas was hospitalized with severe injuries.

The preliminary investigation revealed, Duarte was the chauffeur who caused the crash. She was jailed on suspicion of driving under the impact. She posted bond and was eventually launched.

Cops said as the examination continued, investigators received information that she was possibly intending to run away the nation to avoid prosecution.

The Orange County United States Marshalls Fugitive Task Force and the Orange County District Lawyer’s Office helped Huntington Beach authorities with keeping an eye on the circumstance, the department stated.

She was scheduled into the Huntington Beach City Jail on murder and felony DUI charges, police said. On Monday, Duarte pleaded innocent Monday to three counts of murder along with driving under the influence, City News Service reported. Her bail was set at $4 million.

Stay with FOX5 and FOX5Vegas.com for advancements.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2018 KVVU ( KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Suspected DUI chauffeur jumps UNLV curb, hits student

Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017|9 p.m.

. A chauffeur believed of suffering leapt an automobile over a UNLV pathway, striking a student Wednesday evening, inning accordance with university police.

The chauffeur then aimed to flee but struck other cars and property prior to being apprehended and jailed by Metro Cops on DUI-related counts, UNLV cops stated. The student who was struck was hurried to Dawn Medical facility and Medical Center with injuries not considered life-threatening.

The event occurred about 5:20 p.m. at Swenson Street and Harmon Opportunity, near the Lied Library police stated. The chauffeur was not right away determined.

More details were not instantly readily available.

Double murder suspected at north Lake Tahoe motel

Monday, Nov. 6, 2017|8:47 a.m.

KINGS BEACH, Calif.– Authorities are examining a possible double homicide at a motel on the north shore of Lake Tahoe.

The Second County constable’s workplace states deputies reacting to a report of shots fired discovered the victims at the Northwood Pines Motel in Kings Beach at about 4 p.m. Saturday.

The sheriff’s office states a male and a lady had suffered deadly gunshot wounds. It stated on its Facebook website that the case is being treated as a murder and that it might have been associated with a disagreement with a next-door neighbor.

The names of the victims are being kept pending notification of near relative.

No other information have actually been launched.

Suspected IS militants eliminate 6 soldiers in Egypt'' s Sinai

Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017|12:32 p.m.

EL-ARISH, Egypt– Suspected Islamic State militants on Sunday attacked six checkpoints in the rough north of the Sinai Peninsula, killing six soldiers and injuring 37, according to security and health center authorities.

The officials stated the near-simultaneous attacks took place at and around the town of Sheikh Zweid, with lots of militants using heavy machine guns and mortars. Apache helicopter gunships were contacted to drive away the enemies, stated the authorities. An army declaration said 24 of the assailants were eliminated and 2 SUVs they utilized were destroyed.

The area was being combed by army troops in pursuit of the militants, stated the statement.

The officials spoke on condition of privacy since they were not licensed to speak to the media.

Egyptian security forces have for years battled militants in northern Sinai, which surrounds the Gaza Strip and Israel. But the insurgency there has actually gotten momentum after the Egyptian military ousted a chosen Islamist president in 2013.

The revolt is led by a local affiliate of the Islamic State group.

NLV cops arrest man suspected of using sword in attack

Click to enlarge photo

Courtesy image James McCanna A man whose arm was totally severed in a sword attack earlier this month recalls an associate holding a “long item” with both hands– as one would hold a baseball bat– prior to the suspect swung a minimum of twice, inning accordance with a North Las Vegas police arrest report.

Authorities on Saturday jailed James Joseph McCanna, 39, in connection to the Sept. 4 attack. He’s being held at the Clark County Detention Center on one count each of battery with a fatal weapon, mayhem with a lethal weapon and auto theft.

The unknown victim survived the crucial injury and a medical team surgically re-attached his arm, however will have long-term nerve damage, police stated.

Police and medics were summoned about 6:30 a.m. to the 4700 block of Rancho Drive, near Lone Mountain Road, where they found the 33-year-old victim, who they rushed to University Medical Center.

The attack happened about four miles east in a house garage in the 3400 block of Verde Way, police said.

The victim, who was not equipped and relatively did not provoke the suspect, was visiting a buddy when the occurrence occurred, authorities said.

Through an examination, detectives identified McCanna as the suspect and tracked him down the next day, however he fled “at a high rate of speed” after taking an automobile, authorities said. They arrested him Saturday near Centennial Parkway and Revere Drive.

McCanna, whose bail was set at $100,000, is next scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 25, prison logs reveal.

DUI suspected in fatal west Las Vegas crash

A pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run crash on July 27, 2017. (Gai Phanalasy/FOX5) A pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run crash on July 27, 2017. (Gai Phanalasy/FOX5) A pedestrian was killed in a hit-and-run crash on July 27, 2017.( Gai Phanalasy/FOX5). LAS VEGAS( FOX5 )-.

A lady has died and a chauffeur is under arrest after a serious auto-pedestrian crash in west Las Vegas Thursday night. Cops reacted to the intersection of Charleston Boulevard and Scholl Drive, near Torrey Pines, just after 10 p.m. with reports of a traffic mishap.

Officers said the crash took place when a Ford pickup hit a 46-year-old female pedestrian crossing Charleston at that crossway beyond a crosswalk.

The woman was noticable dead at the scene, inning accordance with City, with the pickup motorist fleeing the scene of the crash.

Cops said the 39-year-old motorist did return to the crash but he was jailed for hit-and-run as well as suspicion of owning under the influence. This was the 81st traffic related fatality investigated by Metro in 2017.

Roadway closures were in place when police were at the scene of the crash and authorities stated the event stays under examination.

Stay with FOX5 for ongoing updates.

Copyright 2017 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights scheduled.

Guy eliminated in suspected DUI crash in northeast Las Vegas

A man was killed in a crash on May 22, 2017. (Gai Phanalasy/FOX5) A man was killed in a crash on May 22, 2017. (Gai Phanalasy/FOX5) A male was killed in a crash on May 22, 2017.( Gai Phanalasy/FOX5). LAS VEGAS( FOX5) -. An 80-year-old male is dead after a crash on Carey Avenue and Mount Hood

Street Monday evening, inning accordance with Metro police. The crash was reported at 7:06 p.m. and involved a Ford Mustang and a Honda Accord.

Mentioning witness declarations and proof at the scene, cops said the Honda was traveling west on Carey Avenue when it went past a published stop indication at the intersection with Mt. Hood Street. The front of the Honda struck the side of the Ford as it was crossing the crossway.

The motorist of the Ford, who medical inspectors recognized as Joseph Charles Wolford Sr., died at the scene, cops stated.

The motorist of the Honda was taken to University Medical Center with minor injuries, cops stated. The chauffeur, determined as Luis Jimenez, 24, was booked for owning under the influence of alcohol.

An examination into the crash is ongoing.

Stay with FOX5 for the current details.

Copyright 2017 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Suspected accomplice detained in fatal corner store shooting

Click to enlarge photo

Victor Sanders A man related to an armed robbery suspect who was shot and eliminated Monday morning by a security guard in a North Las Vegas corner store has actually been apprehended, inning accordance with city authorities.

North Las Vegas authorities are calling 26-year-old Victor Sanders an accomplice in the 5 a.m. shooting in a 7-Eleven on Lake Mead Boulevard and Pecos Roadway.

Gerardo Moncayo, 19, got in the store armed with a weapon and began shooting, police said. A security officer protecting a slot-machine collection returned fire, striking Moncayo several times.

Moncayo died at the scene, authorities stated.

Inning accordance with an initial examination, Moncayo had actually hours earlier made hazards to workers in the shop, who ‘d caught him trying to steal product, authorities said.

Sanders was booked at the Las Vegas Detention Center on counts of conspiracy to devote break-in and tried robbery, police said.

Suspected trespasser shot, killed in east Las Vegas

Crime tape at the scene of a homicide in East Sahara Avenue apartments on April 13, 2017. (Luis Marquez/FOX5)Crime tape at the scene of a homicide in East Sahara Opportunity apartments on April 13, 2017. (Luis Marquez/FOX5) Criminal offense tape at the scene of a murder in East Sahara Avenue apartments on April 13, 2017.

( Luis Marquez/FOX5). LAS VEGAS( FOX5 )-. Authorities are examining an overnight robbery call that turned into a fatal shooting in east Las Vegas Thursday. Officers were called to the Arcadia Palms Apartments, located at 3655 East Sahara Avenue, at about 1 a.m. with reports of a home intrusion.

City stated a man living at an apartment or condo inside the complex told officers he shot a burglar in self-defense after an attempted burglary.

The shooter was not injured in the incident, however there was damage to the house door, according to authorities.

Aja Lynn stated she simply moved into the complex a month ago.

” My brothers sweetheart was dropping my off at home and said this was a bad area, however I don’t really see anything at night it’s peaceful,” Lynn said.

But Thursday early morning was a various story. Aja Lynn said she heard gunshots and saw police vehicle.

” It’s scary my next door neighbors automobile got taken and that’s a lot, it’s a lot,” she stated.

The male who shot the trespasser informed authorities he acted in self defense. Other neighbors stated they most likely would have done the same thing.

” If he broke into his house, in my personal opinion I would have done the exact same thing if someone attempts to take from me I would shoot of course you’re trying to secure yourself,” Monique Kirstein said.

” Of course I ‘d do the very same thing,” Aja Lynn said. Homicide detectives stated a guy was found dead at the scene, and the situation remains under examination. The event marked the 46th homicide in Metro’s jurisdiction this year. Stay with FOX5 for updates on this story when more info becomes available. Copyright 2017 KVVU( KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.