Tag Archives: terrorism

Mexico: Unrefined bomb caused ferryboat blast; terrorism dismissed

Sunday, March 11, 2018|4:50 p.m.

MEXICO CITY– Authorities stated Sunday that a crude explosive device triggered a ferryboat blast that injured more than two-dozen people last month in Playa del Carmen, where the United States Embassy has cautioned tourists to stay away from the ferryboats and parts of the Caribbean resort city.

Prosecutors stated they believe there is no motivation for a terrorist group to have actually carried out the attack and also believe criminal gangs would not have done it, understanding it would draw undesirable attention and increased security.

“Responsibility by terrorist organizations or arranged criminal activity has been dismissed,” Deputy Attorney General Of The United States Arturo Elias Beltran said at a press conference.

He included that the bomb “had an extremely restricted capability” and “was not planned to do major damage.”

The Feb. 21 explosion ripped through the upper section of the ferry as it was moored to the dock at Playa del Carmen, leaving a gaping hole in the side of the vessel.

Travelers had already unloaded after making the trip from the close-by resort island of Cozumel however were on the pier at the time. Twenty-six individuals, consisting of American travelers, were hurt– none seriously.

The federal Attorney General’s Workplace said through twitter that on Feb. 19 an individual it did not identify went to the naval station on Cozumel to turn in a device including a length of white PVC pipeline containing cardboard tubes with cable televisions linked to a black box.

“As an outcome of the investigations, it can be concluded that the residues of the explosive artifact (in the Feb. 21 incident) reveal similarity to the one discovered days earlier, and it is clear that it was a simple or homemade artifact,” the office said.

On March 2, another things said to be a possible bomb was discovered connected to the underside of a ferryboat coming from the same business whose boat was bombed previously. That vessel was anchored about 500 lawns (meters) off Cozumel. There were no passengers aboard at the time, and authorities said it had been out of service for over 10 months.

Detectives are pursuing multiple lines of questions however have actually not made any arrests or advanced a conclusive theory about an intention for the explosion.

In the wake of the ferry occurrences, the United States Embassy barred U.S. federal government employees from taking ferryboats between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel and warned American tourists to do the exact same.

The embassy likewise put out a different alert, which it said was based upon a various, undefined “security danger,” that restricts U.S. government employees from taking a trip to 5 neighborhoods in and around a main tourist zone of Playa del Carmen. Numerous complete resorts outside that location are not off-limits, nevertheless.

With the spring holiday kicking into high gear, Mexican authorities sought to assure travelers that it is safe to visit the Caribbean resorts, a major tourist draw for the nation.

Some 60 policeman and sniffer pets have actually been deployed to secure the docks and ferries between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

Federal Cops Commissioner Manelich Castilla said 900 representatives have been sent to patrol highways, airports and tourist facilities in Quintana Roo state, which is home to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Cancun and Tulum.

He added that hotel tenancy is typical in the state, which receives 19 million visitors each year, half of them from abroad.

“There have not been cancellations of reservations and … the beaches, without exception, are open without occurrence,” Castilla said at the news conference.

Also Sunday, soldiers and state and federal representatives eliminated the local police force in Tlaquepaque, a big residential area of Guadalajara, Mexico’s 2nd city. Authorities pointed out suspicions of infiltration by organized crime.

Tlaquepaque is known for its colorful, well-preserved colonial core and is a popular outing for travelers staying in Guadalajara.

Jalisco state Gov. Aristoteles Sandoval announced that the Tlaquepaque police head office was taken in a morning operation together with weapons and other equipment. The regional officers were sent out to a police academy for examination and training and will be replaced for the time being by state authorities.

Such interventions generally happen when a regional police is thought to be in league with drug cartels. Last month Jalisco authorities took control of policing in the town of Tecalitlan, where three Italian guys vanished shortly after some sort of encounter with officers.

“This represents a destructive blow versus the insecurity affecting the metropolitan area,” Sandoval stated on Twitter.

“It needs to be stated that the country is suffering from an extraordinary wave of violence. … Jalisco is not separated from exactly what the country is going through,” he added.

Guadalajara is said to be the home base for the violent Jalisco New Generation cartel.

Truck attack suspect is accuseded of terrorism offenses

NEW YORK (AP)– A guy implicated of owning a truck down a bike course near the World Trade Center and killing eight people has appeared in court in a wheelchair and has been bought detained.

Uzbek immigrant Sayfullo Saipov appeared in the New york city federal court house Wednesday handcuffed and with his feet shackled.

His legal representatives stated Wednesday they were not looking for bail. He did not go into a plea to terrorism charges. A judge set his next court date for Nov. 15.

Federal district attorneys say the male was “taken in by hate and a twisted ideology” when he assaulted individuals on the bike path on Tuesday.

He is accuseded of providing material assistance to the Islamic State terrorist group and violence and destruction of motor vehicles.

Prosecutors state he was stopped by a “brave” law enforcement officer, who shot and wounded him Tuesday. They say he had been planning the attack for months.

[http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/36729413/nypd-responding-to-shots-fired-near-world-trade-center-site” target=”_blank”> Mobile users click on this link to view pictures of the scene] Saipov, accused of driving the leased House Depot pickup that barreled down a bike course near the World Trade Center memorial on Tuesday, was charged with supplying material support to a terrorist group and dedicating violence and damage of motor vehicles, leading to death.

His legal representatives did not instantly return a message looking for remark.

District attorneys said he had 90 videos and 3,800 photos on among his two cellphones, much of them ISIS-related pieces of propaganda, including images of prisoners being beheaded, shot or run over by a tank.

Saipov left behind knives and a note, handwritten in Arabic, that included Islamic religious references and stated “it will endure”– a phrase that typically describes ISIS, FBI representative Amber Tyree said in court papers.

Questioned in his health center bed, Saipov stated he had actually been inspired by ISIS videos that he viewed on his mobile phone and started plotting an attack about a year back, choosing to use a truck about 2 months ago, Tyree said.

Throughout the last couple of weeks, Saipov browsed the web for information on Halloween in New York City and for truck rentals, the agent said. Saipov even leased a truck on Oct. 22 to practice making turns, Tyree said.

He even thought about displaying ISIS flags on the truck during the attack but chose against it because he did not want to draw the attention, authorities said.

John Miller, deputy New York cops commissioner for intelligence, stated Saipov “appears to have actually followed, almost exactly to a T, the directions that ISIS has put out.”

In the previous couple of years, the Islamic State has actually exhorted followers online to utilize lorries, knives or other close-at-hand means of eliminating individuals in their home nations. England, France and Germany have all seen fatal car attacks given that mid-2016.

A November 2016 concern of the group’s online publication detailed functions that an attack truck or van should have, suggested renting such a car and suggested targeting congested streets and outdoor gatherings, inning accordance with the WEBSITE Intelligence Group, a militant-monitoring firm.

Carlos Batista, a neighbor of Saipov’s in Paterson, New Jersey, said he had actually seen the suspect and 2 pals using the very same design of leased truck numerous times in the past 3 weeks.

It was not clear whether Saipov had actually been on authorities’ radar. Miller said Saipov had actually never ever been the subject of a criminal examination however appears to have links to people who have actually been examined.

In Tuesday’s attack, Saipov drove his speeding truck for nearly a mile along a bike path, diminishing cyclists and pedestrians, then crashed into a school bus, authorities stated. He was shot in the abdominal area after he jumped from the car brandishing 2 air guns, one in each hand, and yelling “God is terrific!” in Arabic, they said.

In addition to those eliminated, 12 people were injured.

The after-effects took a political turn Wednesday when President Donald Trump knocked the visa lotto program that Saipov utilized to come to the United States in 2010. Trump called the program “a Chuck Schumer charm,” a referral to the Senate’s top Democrat.

The program dates to 1990, when Republican Politician President George H.W. Bush signed it as part of a bipartisan migration costs. Trump called on Congress to eliminate it, saying, “We have to get much tougher, much smarter and less politically correct.”

Schumer, who represents New york city, said in a declaration that he has actually always believed that migration “benefits America,” and he accused the president of “politicizing and dividing” the country.

Assailants in a number of other current extremist attacks around the world were found to have actually been “lone wolves”– inspired however not really directed by the Islamic State. In many cases, they never ever even made contact with the group.

On the morning after the bloodshed, city leaders pledged New York would not be intimidated, and they applauded New Yorkers for proceeding with Halloween festivities on Tuesday night.

They also said Sunday’s New york city City Marathon, with 50,000 participants and some 2 million spectators expected, will go on as scheduled.

“We will not be cowed. We will not be thrown off by anything,” said Mayor Expense de Blasio.

While the mayor said there have actually been no trustworthy dangers of any additional attacks, cops stated they were adding more sniper teams, bomb-sniffing canines, helicopters, sand-truck barriers and other security measures along the marathon route, in the subways and at other sites.

The attack eliminated 5 people from Argentina, one from Belgium and 2 Americans, authorities said. 9 people remained hospitalized in major or crucial condition, with injuries that included lost limbs and injuries to the head, chest and neck.

A roughly two-mile stretch of highway in lower Manhattan was closed for much of the day for the examination. Authorities also converged on Saipov’s New Jersey apartment building and a van in a parking area at a New Jersey House Depot.

Runners and bicyclists who use the popular bike course were diverted from the criminal offense scene by officers at barricades.

“It’s the messed-up world we reside in nowadays,” said Dave Hartie, 57, who operates in finance and trips his bike along the path every morning. “Part of me is surprised it doesn’t take place more frequently.”

The slight, bearded Saipov is a legal, permanent U.S. homeowner. He lived in Ohio and Florida before transferring to New Jersey around June, authorities said.

Birth records reveal he and his spouse had two children in Ohio, and a next-door neighbor in New Jersey stated they recently had an infant kid.

Saipov was a commercial truck driver in Ohio. More recently, he was an Uber motorist.

In Ohio, Saipov was an argumentative boy whose profession was breaking down and who was “not happy with his life,” said Mirrakhmat Muminov, a fellow truck motorist from heavily Muslim Uzbekistan.

“He had the practice of disagreeing with everybody,” Muminov said.

He said he and Saipov would sometimes argue about politics and world affairs, including Israel and Palestine. He said Saipov never ever spoke about ISIS, however he might tell his good friend held radical views.

___

Associated Press authors Dake Kang in Stow, Ohio; Karen Matthews and Kiley Armstrong in New York City; Deepti Hajela and Wayne Parry in Paterson, N.J.; Shawn Marsh in Trenton, N.J.; Michael Balsamo in Los Angeles; and Michael R. Sisak in Philadelphia added to this report.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights scheduled. This material might not be released, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Las Vegas granted over $2.8 M for anti-terrorism efforts

Image

Tom Donoghue/ DonoghuePhotography.com

A birds-eye view of the Las Vegas Strip at sunset, Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016.

Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017|6:30 p.m.

. The federal government has actually granted Southern Nevada more than $2.8 million for anti-terrorism efforts.

Rep. Ruben Kihuen, D-Nev., on Tuesday announced the grant from the Department of Homeland Security’s Urban Area Security Effort.

Kihuen states the federal program will give Las Vegas “the tools to prevent, react to, and recuperate from acts of terrorism.”

The Las Vegas location formerly spent the money on training and equipment for bomb and hazardous-material teams.

Grants are awarded to the highest-ranked urban locations on a list determined by danger of terrorist dangers, infrastructure and other elements.

The program might see changes in the approaching months. President Donald Trump’s proposed budget plan would substantially cut loan for the program for the beginning Oct. 1 and need cities to pay 25 percent of the grants.

Bail stays at $8 million for male accuseded of terrorism

Tuesday, April 25, 2017|2:05 p.m.

. A judge has actually rejected a demand from a Las Vegas man to lower his $8 million bail enforced after he was indicted on charges of terrorism and weapons of mass damage.

Clark County District Court Judge Jennifer Togliatti today denied the movement from 40-year-old Nicolai Howard Mork. He has actually pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Police investigating non-injury fires and surges in yards near areas where Mork has lived searched his house in December and reported discovering chemicals that might be blended to produce blasts.

District attorney Jake Villani states proof shows Mork devoted other criminal activities for which he hasn’t been charged.

Togliatti denied Mork’s movement after seeing a video that allegedly reveals him hitting a female. She called Mork the “trifecta of risk to the community.”