Young boy apprehended in shooting on RTC bus had spoken with victim'' s girlfriend

Click to enlarge photo

Now, the thought shooter, 16-year-old Royal Love-Camp, who during the shooting was free on juvenile parole for an unassociated burglary with a fatal weapon charge, is being prosecuted as an adult, authorities stated today. He was arrested on Monday.

He is accused of shooting a.40-caliber round into 20-year-old Jonathan Potter’s stomach on Dec. 15, authorities stated.

Officers and medical crews were called about 5:45 p.m. to a bus stop on Washington Avenue and Pecos Road in the east valley, authorities said. Potter passed away at University Medical Center.

The incident unraveled in front of video cameras inside the Regional Transport Commission of Southern Nevada bus, and those images– along with tips from the general public– assisted detectives locate Love-Camp.

According to Love-Camp’s arrest report, he and two other males boarded the bus and sat throughout from Potter and his girlfriend. That’s when the males struck up a discussion with the female about tattoos, authorities stated.

Love-Camp scooted next to her to reveal her pictures on his phone and a second male brought up his t-shirt to show her ink on his chest, authorities stated.

When the trio got up to exit the bus on Virgil Street, Potter followed them and punched Love-Camp in the face, police said. Love-Camp stepped off the bus however reversed– armed with a handgun– and fired into the bus from the entrance, striking Potter.

The bus continued to Pecos where first responders were dispatched, authorities said.

Not long after the shooting, and in part due to surveillance images released to the general public, detectives began receiving pointers about the shooter, police stated. Among the suggestions was from a parole officer who recognized Love-Camp.

Officers served a search warrant in a home related to Love-Camp on Dec. 20 a discovered a.40-caliber weapon with ammunition that matched that of a bullet casing discovered at the murder scene.

However they didn’t find their suspect until Monday, when Love-Camp was collared near Charleston and Decatur boulevards, authorities stated.

He was reserved at the Clark County Juvenile Detention Center on one count of murder, cops said.

Detectives also determined the other two males who accompanied him and they’re no longer being looked for, police stated. It wasn’t instantly clear if they are going to face any charges.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *