The Latest: 4 Thai soccer team members saved from cavern

LAS VEGAS (AP) –

The most recent on the rescue of 12 school children and their soccer coach from a cave in northern Thailand (perpetuity local):

2:10 a.m.

Officials say it could take up to 4 days to complete the rescue of 8 kids and their soccer coach from inside a northern Thailand cavern.

Authorities briefly stopped their efforts Monday to renew air tanks along the cave’s treacherous exit path.

Expert scuba divers on Sunday managed to get 4 of the 12 kids to security. They were quickly transported to a medical facility in the town of Chiang Rai, the provincial capital.

The names of the rescued boys were not released.

Rescuers have actually been browsing an unsafe and complicated plan to get the children out under the risk of heavy rain and increasing water underground.

The whole group had been caught for more than 2 weeks.

— 12:25 a.m.

. The California tunnel company run by Elon Musk is continuing to keep a presence at the Thai cavern where several boys and their soccer coach are awaiting rescue.

Sam Teller, representative for Boring Co., said Sunday that the company has 4 engineers who are “offering support in any method the federal government deems beneficial.”

Musk tweeted early Saturday that he was dealing with a team from his Area X rocket business to develop a “tiny kid-size submarine” to transport the children.

However Saturday night, he tweeted that the cavern was now closed for the rescue by divers.

“Will continue testing in LA in case needed later on or somewhere else in the future,” he wrote.

Musk states the sub would be light enough to be carried by 2 divers and little sufficient to get through narrow cavern spaces.

— 9:15 p.m.

. The official heading the operation to rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach from a cave in northern Thailand states the operation is going “better than expected.”

Chiang Rai provincial acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn made the comment at a press conference Sunday evening after rescuers drawn out four of the boys from the cavern where they had actually been caught for more than 2 weeks. Narongsak stated the four were then required to a health center. Their condition was not instantly clear.

Narongsak said the healthiest have been gotten first, and the next phase of the operation would start in 10-20 hours.

He stated that 13 foreign and five Thai scuba divers were taking part in the rescue which two scuba divers would accompany each boy as they’re gradually extracted.

— 8:05 p.m.

Thai navy SEALs say rescuers have taken four members of a youth soccer team out of the cave where they had actually been trapped for more than two weeks, part of an operation to save the 12 kids and their coach.

The operation to save the boys, ages 11-16, and their 25-year-old coach by having them dive from the flooded cave started Sunday early morning, with professional scuba divers entering the stretching complex for the complicated and harmful objective.

Chiang Rai province acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is heading the operation, stated that 13 foreign and five Thai scuba divers were participating in the rescue and that two scuba divers would accompany each kid as they’re slowly drawn out.

The operation started at 10 a.m. Quickly before 8 p.m., the SEALs reported on their main Facebook page that 4 had actually been rescued.

— 7:15 p.m.

2 ambulances have left from a cave in northern Thailand, hours after an operation started to rescue 12 youth soccer gamers and their coach.

The ambulances were seen Sunday night, but it was uncertain who was inside them.

Chiang Rai province acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is heading the operation, stated earlier Sunday that 13 foreign and five Thai divers were participating in the rescue and 2 divers will accompany each kid as they’re gradually drawn out. He stated the operation started at 10 a.m., and it will take at least 11 hours for the first individual to be taken out of the cave.

The kids and their coach ended up being stranded when they went exploring in the cave after a practice game June 23. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from discovering them for practically 10 days.

— 6:50 p.m.

Thai authorities state it is unknown when the first group of young boys trapped in a flooded cavern will begin their dive out of the cavern, the essential part of a rescue operation underway.

In a statement launched late Sunday afternoon, Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn states “scuba divers will work with medics in the cave to examine the young boys’ health prior to determining who will come out first.”

He added: “They can not choose the number of them will be able to come out for the very first operation. Based on the complexity and difficulty of the cave environment it is unidentified the length of time it might take and the number of children would leave the cavern.”

The rescue operation started at 10 a.m. Sunday when expert scuba divers entered the cave. Journeys from the entryway to where the team is caught and back to the entrance take about 11 hours.

___

2:30 p.m.

. The Thai navy SEALs, who have actually been spearheading the rescue effort for the 12 boys and their soccer coach, have posted a picture on their Facebook page with a vow to bring the caught team house from a flooded cave.

The unit states in a message: “We, the Thai group and the worldwide group, will bring the Wild Boars house.” That’s the name of the young boys’ team.

The risky diving operation to bring them out has actually started and the very first kid is anticipated to be from the cave around 9 p.m. Sunday (10 a.m. ET) at the earliest. Rescuers say it might take 2-4 days for the entire team to reach security, depending upon conditions inside the cave.

The local guv in charge of the rescue states the objective was introduced Sunday early morning because floodwaters inside the cave are at their lowest level in days and rains forecast to strike the area threat flooding the cave once again.

___

12 noon

A Thai army commander states the ongoing rescue of 12 kids and their coach might take 2-4 days depending on conditions inside the partly flooded cavern.

Inning Accordance With Maj. Gen. Chalongchai Chaiyakam, the 13 “will constantly come out in around 2-4 days, which all might change depending upon weather and water conditions.”

The governor in charge of the operation states 2 divers will accompany each boy as they are slowly extracted. The operation began at 10 a.m. and he stated it would take a minimum of 11 hours for the very first individual to be rescued.

___

11:35 a.m.

. The Thai official in charge of the rescue of 12 kids and their soccer coach states they’re physically ready and psychologically determined for their extraction now underway from a partially flooded cave.

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn states 13 ambulances and helicopters in 2 different locations are ready to transfer them to hospitals. The very first is expected to reach safety at 9 p.m. Sunday (10 a.m. ET) at the earliest.

Narongsak states the rescue objective was launched because floodwaters inside the cave are at their most optimum level.

He says: “If we continue waiting and the rains can be found in the next three or four days, our preparedness will reduce.”

He also says the families of the young boys have actually been notified about the dangerous mission.

___

10:40 a.m.

. A Thai governor says the operation to highlight 12 school children and their soccer coach from deep inside a cavern where they have actually been caught for two weeks has actually started.

The acting Chiang Rai governor has actually told reporters “today is D-Day” with 13 foreigner and five Thai scuba divers taking part in the rescue.

He states the scuba divers entered at 10 a.m. and the young boys will gradually come out accompanied by two divers each. He states the earliest they will come out is 9 p.m. Sunday (10 a.m. ET).

The only method to bring them out is by navigating dark and tight passages filled with muddy water and strong currents, as well as oxygen-depleted air.

Experienced cavern rescue specialists consider an underwater escape a last option, particularly with people inexperienced in diving, as the young boys are. The path out is thought about particularly complicated because of twists and turns in narrow flooded passages.

But the guv monitoring the mission stated previously that moderate weather and falling water levels over the last couple of days had created ideal conditions for an underwater evacuation that will not last if it rains once again.

___

Corrects day to Sunday.

___

8:30 a.m.

Thai authorities have actually asked media to leave the location around the entrance of the cave where 12 boys and their soccer coach have actually been trapped for 2 weeks, fueling speculation that a rescue mission could be impending.

Dozens of scuba divers have come to the cave on Sunday morning.

Thai officials said Saturday they are stressed that heavy monsoon rain might soon make the task even more challenging and they may need to rapidly save the young boys and the soccer coach from a partially flooded cave by assisting them make risky dives to security.

The kids, ages 11-16, and their 25-year-old ended up being stranded when they went exploring in the cave after a practice video game. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and avoided rescuers from discovering them for almost 10 days.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material might not be released, broadcast, rewritten or rearranged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *